Zac Brown Band Has Year’s Top Country Dance Club Hit; Early Waylon Jennings Reissues
- The Zac Brown Band topped the 2009 list of the top 10 country dance club hits with its song “Toes.” GAC has the rest of the top 10 plus lists for the previous five years.
- Craig Shelburne considers George Strait‘s second album, Strait From the Heart, one of his finest achievements and with songs like “Fool Hearted Memory,” “Marina Del Ray,” and “Amarillo By Morning” it’s hard to argue.
- Despite a bombardment of outsiders over the past ten years, The New York Time‘s Jon Caramanica says Nashville was able to demonstrate its resilience.
Organized, successful, lumbering, stubborn: Music Row is the last vestige of the record industry as it used to be. To each of these border threats, the city has stood up — remained seated, really — and held its ground, either stymieing or assimilating. The genre’s top female stars retreated from blatant pop crossover, the Muzik Mafia was a team of classicists in outlaw clothing, and Ms. Underwood was a country star in the old mold, after all.
And so the city’s oligarchy remained more or less intact.
- Asleep at the Wheel plans to celebrate its 40th anniversary in Sept. with a three-night stand at Austin’s Long Center. The details are still being ironed out, but Ray Benson says one night will be a staging of “A Ride With Bob.”
- As of this writing, The Gobblers Knob has five of Blackberry Smoke‘s Little Piece of Dixie discs to giveaway. You’ll want to act quick, because they’ll go to the first five people to send in an email. (MySpace)
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day belongs to Charlie Louvin for his performance of “Great Atomic Power” from a recent session at KUT.
- Tracy Lawrence, Darryl Worley, Lorrie Morgan and John Anderson are just a handful of over 20 acts scheduled to perform at the three-day (Jan. 15-17) grand opening celebration of Country Crossing, a new entertainment destination in Alabama.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 01/03/10 Edition
- “Legends: Townes Van Zandt,” the title of Holly Gleason’s recent article for American Songwriter, pretty much sums up the 3,000-plus words that follow.
- Country Radio Broadcasters, Inc. will present Brooks & Dunn with a Career Achievement Award on Feb. 23.
- Alt-512 Music Musings recorded an Amanda Shires and Rod Picott show at Gruene Hall just before Christmas and posted the audio to “Arrows On Your Compass.”
- Country Universe published the first of a two-part series counting down the best singles of 2009.
- Merle Haggard, Neko Case, and Shelby Lynne contribute vocals to the new Peter Wolf album Midnight Souvenirs, due out April 6.
- Commentary on Rascal Flatts‘ music:
Life is a highway
And I like driving in the
Middle of the road
- On Jan. 12, Collector’s Choice will reissue six Waylon Jennings albums from the late ’60s/early ’70s on three discs. The discs, Folk Country/Waylon Sings Ol’ Harlan, Love of the Common People/Hangin’ On, and Waylon/Singer of Sad Songs, chronicle Jennings’ career before he began to create albums as “personal statements” instead of “assemblages of songs from different sessions” and include liners notes by Colin Escott.
- Dierks Bentley is a glutton for punishment.
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …