Zac Brown Band Has Year’s Top Country Dance Club Hit; Early Waylon Jennings Reissues
- The Zac Brown Band topped the 2009 list of the top 10 country dance club hits with its song “Toes.” GAC has the rest of the top 10 plus lists for the previous five years.
- Craig Shelburne considers George Strait‘s second album, Strait From the Heart, one of his finest achievements and with songs like “Fool Hearted Memory,” “Marina Del Ray,” and “Amarillo By Morning” it’s hard to argue.
- Despite a bombardment of outsiders over the past ten years, The New York Time‘s Jon Caramanica says Nashville was able to demonstrate its resilience.
Organized, successful, lumbering, stubborn: Music Row is the last vestige of the record industry as it used to be. To each of these border threats, the city has stood up — remained seated, really — and held its ground, either stymieing or assimilating. The genre’s top female stars retreated from blatant pop crossover, the Muzik Mafia was a team of classicists in outlaw clothing, and Ms. Underwood was a country star in the old mold, after all.
And so the city’s oligarchy remained more or less intact.
- Asleep at the Wheel plans to celebrate its 40th anniversary in Sept. with a three-night stand at Austin’s Long Center. The details are still being ironed out, but Ray Benson says one night will be a staging of “A Ride With Bob.”
- As of this writing, The Gobblers Knob has five of Blackberry Smoke‘s Little Piece of Dixie discs to giveaway. You’ll want to act quick, because they’ll go to the first five people to send in an email. (MySpace)
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day belongs to Charlie Louvin for his performance of “Great Atomic Power” from a recent session at KUT.
- Tracy Lawrence, Darryl Worley, Lorrie Morgan and John Anderson are just a handful of over 20 acts scheduled to perform at the three-day (Jan. 15-17) grand opening celebration of Country Crossing, a new entertainment destination in Alabama.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 01/03/10 Edition
- “Legends: Townes Van Zandt,” the title of Holly Gleason’s recent article for American Songwriter, pretty much sums up the 3,000-plus words that follow.
- Country Radio Broadcasters, Inc. will present Brooks & Dunn with a Career Achievement Award on Feb. 23.
- Alt-512 Music Musings recorded an Amanda Shires and Rod Picott show at Gruene Hall just before Christmas and posted the audio to “Arrows On Your Compass.”
- Country Universe published the first of a two-part series counting down the best singles of 2009.
- Merle Haggard, Neko Case, and Shelby Lynne contribute vocals to the new Peter Wolf album Midnight Souvenirs, due out April 6.
- Commentary on Rascal Flatts‘ music:
Life is a highway
And I like driving in the
Middle of the road
- On Jan. 12, Collector’s Choice will reissue six Waylon Jennings albums from the late ’60s/early ’70s on three discs. The discs, Folk Country/Waylon Sings Ol’ Harlan, Love of the Common People/Hangin’ On, and Waylon/Singer of Sad Songs, chronicle Jennings’ career before he began to create albums as “personal statements” instead of “assemblages of songs from different sessions” and include liners notes by Colin Escott.
- Dierks Bentley is a glutton for punishment.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …