Your Take: Why Haven’t Greatest Hits Albums Become Obsolete?
If an artist was successful enough to be able to release a greatest hits album, then said artist has probably amassed a pretty big group of fans, who have undoubtedly bought one or more of the artist’s albums. The greatest hits album most likely pulls some songs from those previous albums, so if a fan (who owned previous albums) were to buy the greatest hits they’d essentially be paying for the same song twice. In my opinion it would be more cost effective and logical to rip the CDs you already have to iTunes, download the other songs on the hits album, and burn your own CD. Yet, for some reason artists keep releasing their greatest hits and other albums containing a different mix of previously recorded songs. I can understand releasing complete anthologies and special edition collector’s sets for the die hard fans, but otherwise a simple greatest hits album seems like a lazy way for labels to make a few extra bucks to me.
So my question to you guys is, do you still purchase greatest hits albums, and with downloading services like iTunes becoming so prevalent in today’s society why haven’t greatest hits albums become obsolete?
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …