Your Take: What Makes a Good Singer?
This week, The A.V. Club covered Don’t Stop Believin’, a documentary about Arnel Pineda, “the Filipino rocker whose remarkable imitation of Steve Perry landed him a gig as the frontman for the classic rock band Journey back in 2007.”
The article, written by Noel Murray, raised some interesting questions:
When Pineda was discovered on YouTube, he was singing covers of lots of different kinds of songs, and was just as credible impersonating Sting, Jon Bon Jovi, Axl Rose, and Geddy Lee as he was doing Perry. He has range and power. But is hitting the right notes with the right inflection all that’s necessary to make a singer “good?”
Perhaps the better questions to ask when it comes to the quality of a lead singer are, “Does the voice suit the task?” and “Is the task worth doing?” Consider Taylor Swift’s… [performance] at last month’s Grammy awards. Swift has long been dinged in some quarters for her thin voice, which tends to be extra-shaky in a live setting. But Swift’s bright personality and the intimate detail in her songwriting is usually adequate compensation for her weaknesses—that is, unless she’s dressed up like a circus ringmaster, singing the booming, trashy “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” in which case the paltriness of her voice is just one more thing to mock.
So: what makes a singer “good”? What makes a singer appeal to you? Do songwriting and performance compensate for shaky vocals?
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.