Your Take: Tribute Albums
Don Rigsby’s salute to Ralph Stanley, Doctor’s Orders, released earlier this year, already ranks high on my list of favorite tribute records, along with Livin’, Lovin’, Losin’ (which Charlie Louvin told me was “the best tribute album ever recorded by anybody“), A Tribute to the Delmore Brothers, and Merle Haggard’s aforementioned Bob Wills album (the Hag does a mighty fine job honoring Jimmie Rodgers, too).
What are your favorite tribute albums? Are there any artists you’d like to see get the tribute treatment–or receive a better tribute?
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.