Your Take: The Venue
Each year, Pollstar tallies ballots sent to music business professionals in order to determine the winners of their Concert Industry Awards. The various awards honor artists, management, talent buyers, venues, and support services. In February, for the third time in the last five years, the Ryman Auditorium took home the Theatre of the Year Award. For anyone that has stepped foot in the “Mother Church of Country Music,” that would hardly be a surprise. The acoustics are terrific and the history seeps from that stage and those stained glass windows.
Other venues have enhanced my concert-going experience as well. A few years ago, I wrote a column for The 9513 about an amazing concert series atop the Northstar Resort ski lifts where the setting sun across the Truckee Basin served as backdrop to the stage. The Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison,Colorado is an equally breathtaking sight to behold with its hues of oranges and reds carved right out of the mountain.
Engine 145 wants your take: What is your favorite location to watch a performance? How important is the venue to your overall concert-going experience? How important is proximity to the equation? And lastly, why is that venue special to you?
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.