Your Take: The Album Cover
A few weeks ago, Storm Thorgerson passed away at the age of 69. Thorgerson was a renowned graphic artist whose catalog includes some of music’s most famous album covers Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. His Storm Studios design house was behind covers from everyone from Led Zeppelin to the Cranberries. His work got us thinking…
In an interview in 2011 here at Engine 145, Ray Wylie Hubbard explained the reasoning behind the design of his album, A: Enlightenment B: Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C), in which he’s holding his own severed head: “Well, here’s what happened. I was looking at the different ads for iTunes’ top twenty albums. They have them all listed there and the album covers are the size of a postage stamp, right? They’re about an inch and a half by an inch and a half. I looked at that and thought there wasn’t much space there. So I drew a little stick man in a two-inch square and said, “Yep, that’s what it would look like.” And for some reason, I erased his head and drew a little circle down by his hand. And so it just seemed natural to put a sword in his other hand. And I laughed and said, “You know, you’ll notice that.””
We want to know your take: Have album covers become less important in the digital download era? What album covers stand out to you? What makes them that way?
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …