Your Take: Super Stars
For many, the highlight of Sunday’s Super Bowl XLV will have nothing to do with football players. Between the parties, food, commercials and beer, the game can often be of secondary importance.
And then, of course, there’s the half-time performance.
This year’s show marks an interesting comeback of the female variety, reports the Orlando Sentinel:
Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction put such a scare in Super Bowl organizers that they stopped choosing women to headline the halftime show.
The split-second flash of flesh took place in 2004.
For the remainder of the decade the most-watched intermission on the planet remained a platform reserved for men who were middle-aged and, in some cases, geriatric.
-Paul McCartney in ’05.
-The Rolling Stones ’06.
-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ’08.
-Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ’09.
There has been an even longer country music drought, with nary a country performer in the half-time festivities since Shania Twain in 2003 and the 1994 country-themed performance by Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt and The Judds.
What country music performer do you think could hold his or her own in a Super Bowl half-time performance? What is your favorite sporting event performance by an artist – national anthem, half-time show or otherwise?
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."