Your Take: Super Stars
For many, the highlight of Sunday’s Super Bowl XLV will have nothing to do with football players. Between the parties, food, commercials and beer, the game can often be of secondary importance.
And then, of course, there’s the half-time performance.
This year’s show marks an interesting comeback of the female variety, reports the Orlando Sentinel:
Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction put such a scare in Super Bowl organizers that they stopped choosing women to headline the halftime show.
The split-second flash of flesh took place in 2004.
For the remainder of the decade the most-watched intermission on the planet remained a platform reserved for men who were middle-aged and, in some cases, geriatric.
-Paul McCartney in ’05.
-The Rolling Stones ’06.
-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ’08.
-Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ’09.
There has been an even longer country music drought, with nary a country performer in the half-time festivities since Shania Twain in 2003 and the 1994 country-themed performance by Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt and The Judds.
What country music performer do you think could hold his or her own in a Super Bowl half-time performance? What is your favorite sporting event performance by an artist – national anthem, half-time show or otherwise?
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …