Your Take: Super Stars
For many, the highlight of Sunday’s Super Bowl XLV will have nothing to do with football players. Between the parties, food, commercials and beer, the game can often be of secondary importance.
And then, of course, there’s the half-time performance.
This year’s show marks an interesting comeback of the female variety, reports the Orlando Sentinel:
Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction put such a scare in Super Bowl organizers that they stopped choosing women to headline the halftime show.
The split-second flash of flesh took place in 2004.
For the remainder of the decade the most-watched intermission on the planet remained a platform reserved for men who were middle-aged and, in some cases, geriatric.
-Paul McCartney in ’05.
-The Rolling Stones ’06.
-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ’08.
-Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ’09.
There has been an even longer country music drought, with nary a country performer in the half-time festivities since Shania Twain in 2003 and the 1994 country-themed performance by Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt and The Judds.
What country music performer do you think could hold his or her own in a Super Bowl half-time performance? What is your favorite sporting event performance by an artist – national anthem, half-time show or otherwise?
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA