Your Take: Super Stars
For many, the highlight of Sunday’s Super Bowl XLV will have nothing to do with football players. Between the parties, food, commercials and beer, the game can often be of secondary importance.
And then, of course, there’s the half-time performance.
This year’s show marks an interesting comeback of the female variety, reports the Orlando Sentinel:
Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction put such a scare in Super Bowl organizers that they stopped choosing women to headline the halftime show.
The split-second flash of flesh took place in 2004.
For the remainder of the decade the most-watched intermission on the planet remained a platform reserved for men who were middle-aged and, in some cases, geriatric.
-Paul McCartney in ’05.
-The Rolling Stones ’06.
-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ’08.
-Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ’09.
There has been an even longer country music drought, with nary a country performer in the half-time festivities since Shania Twain in 2003 and the 1994 country-themed performance by Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt and The Judds.
What country music performer do you think could hold his or her own in a Super Bowl half-time performance? What is your favorite sporting event performance by an artist – national anthem, half-time show or otherwise?
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …