Your Take: Shuffle Board
The article provides a rundown of country tastemakers:
According to this count, provided by label publicists, there are more than 175 country acts currently competing for airplay and sales. This total also includes those in the country subgenres of bluegrass and Americana.
In addition, there are 19 comedians whose recordings are overseen by country labels.
Because of the egos and privacy policies involved, it is difficult to determine if an act has been dropped by a label, has asked to sever its relationship or has declined to renew its contract. Therefore, this list simply notes the artist comings and goings within the past year.
Among the departures are Emerson Drive from Valory Music Co., Randy Owen from Broken Bow, Trace Adkins and Kenny Rogers from Capitol (Adkins has since signed to Show Dog-Universal) and the Bellamy Brothers, Hal Ketchum and Hank Williams Jr. from Curb. (Williams’ management office says he has not yet settled at another label.)
Also moving on are SHeDAISY, Jessica Andrews and Trent Tomlinson from Lyric Street, Rhonda Vincent from Rounder, Jennifer Hanson and Shooter Jennings from Show Dog-Universal, Jason Michael Carroll from Arista, Pat Green from BNA, Keith Anderson and Gretchen Wilson from Columbia Nashville (Wilson has since started her own label) and Shelby Lynne from Lost Highway.
The article also details each label’s artist roster and recent exits. Take a closer look here.
Looking at this survey, what artist departures and shufflings leave you most surprised? What do you think some of these artsts’ next moves will (or should) be?
Also, record companies often get a bad rap for using and abusing artists and sustaining the status quo of today’s radio climate. What country labels do you think are on the right path? What indie labels not part of this survey deserve more attention?
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …