Your Take: Shuffle Board
The article provides a rundown of country tastemakers:
According to this count, provided by label publicists, there are more than 175 country acts currently competing for airplay and sales. This total also includes those in the country subgenres of bluegrass and Americana.
In addition, there are 19 comedians whose recordings are overseen by country labels.
Because of the egos and privacy policies involved, it is difficult to determine if an act has been dropped by a label, has asked to sever its relationship or has declined to renew its contract. Therefore, this list simply notes the artist comings and goings within the past year.
Among the departures are Emerson Drive from Valory Music Co., Randy Owen from Broken Bow, Trace Adkins and Kenny Rogers from Capitol (Adkins has since signed to Show Dog-Universal) and the Bellamy Brothers, Hal Ketchum and Hank Williams Jr. from Curb. (Williams’ management office says he has not yet settled at another label.)
Also moving on are SHeDAISY, Jessica Andrews and Trent Tomlinson from Lyric Street, Rhonda Vincent from Rounder, Jennifer Hanson and Shooter Jennings from Show Dog-Universal, Jason Michael Carroll from Arista, Pat Green from BNA, Keith Anderson and Gretchen Wilson from Columbia Nashville (Wilson has since started her own label) and Shelby Lynne from Lost Highway.
The article also details each label’s artist roster and recent exits. Take a closer look here.
Looking at this survey, what artist departures and shufflings leave you most surprised? What do you think some of these artsts’ next moves will (or should) be?
Also, record companies often get a bad rap for using and abusing artists and sustaining the status quo of today’s radio climate. What country labels do you think are on the right path? What indie labels not part of this survey deserve more attention?
- dottie: It was great & you all look wonderful. oxoxox Grandma
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …