Your Take: Like a Rhinestone Cowboy
New York Fashion Week doesn’t start up until Sept. 10, but this week on The 9513 saw quite a bit of sartorial snark.
Brady’s post Thursday on a new promotional video for George Strait’s upcoming album Twang elicited some comments on his (gasp!) untucked shirts:
idlewildsouth: I’m noticing in that video of George Strait, there are a lot of pictures of him with his shirt untucked, sleeves rolled up. Seems like a pretty obvious variation on his typical look.
Chris N.: CW has always gotten letters about how much people appreciate George’s fashion sense — including the tucked-in shirts. Could be scandalous.
Dr. No: Could George Strait’s “dishelved” look be a shot at the acts that overemphasize fashion/looks/etc over actual talent? You know, like 95% of the acts out there?
Similarly, Juli’s review of “the sartorially-challenged Rische siblings'” (aka Jypsi) new single “Mr. Officer” elicited nearly as much talk on the band’s fashion choices as its singing chops:
antonio: i wonder if they spent as much time on the record (or the song) as they did on their clothes and hair. and the pose. and the tattoo. plus, that guy looks like a douche.
Rick: … The thrift store / hipster look has been a big hindrance to their career but it obviously means a lot to them. Its hard to take a band seriously when they dress like clowns! Its the music that matters to me and their debut album contained a handful of gems that most country music fans have never heard.
While fashion coverage is usually relegated to pop and rap artists, the country genre has definitely seen its share of trends and fads, from Porter Wagoner’s Nudie suits to John Travolta’s Urban Cowboy look to Taylor Swift’s combination of sundresses and cowboy boots.
Has an artist’s fashion choices turned you on to or off of his or her music? From a broader perspective, what role does an artist’s image (dress, looks, etc.) play on your decision to attend an artist’s concert or buy his or her music?
Also, in last week’s Your Take, we covered your favorite music award show moments, and Reba McEntire’s infamous red dress ranked on the top of many people’s lists. Do you have a favorite country music fashion moment or icon?
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.