Your Take: Like a Rhinestone Cowboy
New York Fashion Week doesn’t start up until Sept. 10, but this week on The 9513 saw quite a bit of sartorial snark.
Brady’s post Thursday on a new promotional video for George Strait’s upcoming album Twang elicited some comments on his (gasp!) untucked shirts:
idlewildsouth: I’m noticing in that video of George Strait, there are a lot of pictures of him with his shirt untucked, sleeves rolled up. Seems like a pretty obvious variation on his typical look.
Chris N.: CW has always gotten letters about how much people appreciate George’s fashion sense — including the tucked-in shirts. Could be scandalous.
Dr. No: Could George Strait’s “dishelved” look be a shot at the acts that overemphasize fashion/looks/etc over actual talent? You know, like 95% of the acts out there?
Similarly, Juli’s review of “the sartorially-challenged Rische siblings’” (aka Jypsi) new single “Mr. Officer” elicited nearly as much talk on the band’s fashion choices as its singing chops:
antonio: i wonder if they spent as much time on the record (or the song) as they did on their clothes and hair. and the pose. and the tattoo. plus, that guy looks like a douche.
Rick: … The thrift store / hipster look has been a big hindrance to their career but it obviously means a lot to them. Its hard to take a band seriously when they dress like clowns! Its the music that matters to me and their debut album contained a handful of gems that most country music fans have never heard.
While fashion coverage is usually relegated to pop and rap artists, the country genre has definitely seen its share of trends and fads, from Porter Wagoner’s Nudie suits to John Travolta’s Urban Cowboy look to Taylor Swift’s combination of sundresses and cowboy boots.
Has an artist’s fashion choices turned you on to or off of his or her music? From a broader perspective, what role does an artist’s image (dress, looks, etc.) play on your decision to attend an artist’s concert or buy his or her music?
Also, in last week’s Your Take, we covered your favorite music award show moments, and Reba McEntire’s infamous red dress ranked on the top of many people’s lists. Do you have a favorite country music fashion moment or icon?
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …