Your Take: Buy or Sell Out
Country music is known for its tear-jerkers, a fact not lost on the Vidalia Onion Committee.
[Insert your own Sammy Kershaw joke here.]
The industry association is set to launch a campaign featuring country artists Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Gary Allan and Ashton Shepherd. The promotion is in conjunction with Universal Music Group Nashville and will include on-bag images, advertisements in Country Weekly, radio support and more.
Trade publication The Packer has more details:
To spark consumer interest, the industry is sponsoring its first Vidalia onion jingle contest.Brannen said the industry has long wanted to sponsor such a contest. She said having consumers write and perform songs about Vidalia onions should keep the industry’s promotions fresh and in line with what other large corporations have done in recent years in interacting with and offering consumers opportunities to become creative through the Internet.
The consumer jingle contest will also award a Nashville, Tenn., trip that will include recording session time and backstage passes providing special privileges to the city’s top destinations.
The campaign attempts to link the onions’ Deep South heritage with growing consumer interest in music.
Product placements and promotions are nothing new in the music and entertainment businesses, and have been used to target country fans by companies such as Wrangler.
As a country fan, would having a country musician on a product you were buying cause you to change your purchase habits?
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …