Your Take: Book ‘Em
In Monday’s News Roundup, Brody linked to a CMT News item on upcoming books on country artists, the country music industry, songwriting and more.
Country music has no shortage of interesting characters and stories that would exceed even a fiction writer’s imagination. Biographies due out include memoirs from Shania Twain, George Jones’ daughter Georgette and, of course, the Hank Williams clan.
Others cover a broad range of topics, such as bluegrass festivals, protest songs and female Americana singers. One upcoming book that stood out in particular looks to be a crash course in all things Nashville:
The most intriguing title, though, arrives in May. If Liam Sullivan’s Making the Scene — Nashville: How to Live, Network and Succeed in Music City fulfills the promise of its title, it could become a replacement for the Gideon Bible at local hotels and motels.
What country music books have you read and enjoyed? Which country artist’s biography or autobiography did you find most interesting, and what information about his or her life surprised you? What country music books or memoirs are you looking forward to?
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …