Your Take: Book ‘Em
In Monday’s News Roundup, Brody linked to a CMT News item on upcoming books on country artists, the country music industry, songwriting and more.
Country music has no shortage of interesting characters and stories that would exceed even a fiction writer’s imagination. Biographies due out include memoirs from Shania Twain, George Jones’ daughter Georgette and, of course, the Hank Williams clan.
Others cover a broad range of topics, such as bluegrass festivals, protest songs and female Americana singers. One upcoming book that stood out in particular looks to be a crash course in all things Nashville:
The most intriguing title, though, arrives in May. If Liam Sullivan’s Making the Scene — Nashville: How to Live, Network and Succeed in Music City fulfills the promise of its title, it could become a replacement for the Gideon Bible at local hotels and motels.
What country music books have you read and enjoyed? Which country artist’s biography or autobiography did you find most interesting, and what information about his or her life surprised you? What country music books or memoirs are you looking forward to?
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....