Your Take: Award Show Voters
In Monday’s News Roundup, Brody included a link to Cindy Watts’ profile on Rascal Flatts. The Tennessean article “Rascal Flatts reflects on a decade in country music” touched on everything from its start in Printer’s Alley to its recent CMA upset:
Losing the group of the year CMA trophy, DeMarcus admitted, was a shock — and a motivator.
“Lady Antebellum had a great year,” DeMarcus said. “But honestly, losing lit a fire under our (butts) to say, ‘You know what, this has been our award for the last six years and we need to go take it back, and we are going to work our tails off to try and do that very thing. We’re not that old yet.’”
“Walking out after the group thing, fans we’re yelling, ‘Hey they didn’t sell out Wrigley Field,’” added guitarist Joe Don Rooney, referring to the fact that in 2009 the trio, with 38,000 tickets sold, became the only country act ever to sell out the park. “People were screaming from the seats. But they don’t have a voice.”
“I think every awards show should be fan voted,” singer Gary LeVox said.
On a related note, Brody noted the People’s Choice Awards crowned country artists Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban and Taylor Swift with several awards this week.
People’s Choice is the only major award show where fans choose the winner, according to a press release, and this broadcast was the first to use Internet video viewing data in the nominee selection process:
“People’s Choice has served as a premier cultural barometer for decades, and we are thrilled that our unique Internet video metrics have been incorporated into the nominee selection process this year,” said Visible Measures Founder and CEO Brian Shin. “We always say that audiences vote with their mouse in the world of online video, and we are excited to be able to deploy this unique data set to help People’s Choice.”
Are you a fan of the People’s Choice Award selection and award process? Do you agree with Gary LeVox that award shows like it better reflect an entertainer’s value to his or her industry?
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!