Wynonna Releases Debut Novel; New Album Releases; Steve Earle Schedules New Album & Novel
- Today marks the release of Wynonna Judd‘s debut novel (Amazon):
Restless Heart is your first novel. How much is autobiographical?
Enough to make it real. I’m living truthfully in imaginary circumstances. I’m telling my story through another voice. Writing this was different (from the memoir) because I could take liberties but also draw from my own experiences. She (main character Destiny Hart) has the same ambition and passion for music I did at that age.
- Wynonna isn’t the only one. Sara Evans released the second installment of her novel, Softly and Tenderly, earlier this month and Steve Earle‘s debut, I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive, is due in May. Earle’s novel borrows its title from a Hank Williams song of the same name and tells the story of a doctor who is haunted by his former patient, Hank Williams. Earle will also use the title for his next album, which is scheduled for release in April.
Earle says the 11-track “I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive,” which takes its title from Hank Williams’ posthumous 1953 hit, is “inadvertently” more country-flavored than his albums have sounded in awhile […]
- It’s a Wanda Jackson kind of day: The Tennessean Interview | New York Times Feature | Nashville Cream Interview | Paste Album Review | Pop & Hiss Album Review | USA Today Album Review | NPR Profile | And more…
New releases for the week of January 25, 2010 include:
The Band Perry celebrated its No. 1 song “If I Die Young” with a party yesterday.
- Actor/singer/songwriter Christian Kane on his live show:
“I needed to let people know right off the bat who we are,” says Kane, who refers to the bar he’s playing as his house in the song, and sings lines such as, “Everybody sings and drinks and laughs and gets high” and “Where the girls do the thing with the Mardis Gras beads, yeah, you know they’re gonna show ’em if they got ’em.”
“When you listen to that song, that’s the show you’re going to see if you go see us,” he says.
- Ninebullets.net describes Mic Harrison and the High Score as “a rawer, more rocking and less sober version of Robert Earl Keen.”
- Farce the Music: Country Doppelgängers XI
- Scott Borchetta on the Steel Magnolia duo of Meghan Linsey and Joshua Scott Jones:
“[…] for them to have such unique individual voices that blended so well, I thought it was something really unique, that if they really got a grasp and a direction, then it could really be something special.”
- In an interview with Paul Zollo for American Songwriter, Loretta Lynn talks in detail about her songwriting and inspiration, and says she had six extra verses to “Coal Miner’s Daughter” that she threw away because Owen Bradley told her it was too long.
- The Sons of Bill album One Town Away is currently $5 on Amazon.
- Lost Highway Records released limited edition vinyls of its very first album, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Ryan Adams‘ Gold today to kick off its 10th anniversary celebration
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …