Willie Nelson’s Band Bus Crashes; Wayne Mills Shot and Killed; New Music Videos
- Four hours and 40 songs of music by country music’s biggest and brightest stars honored George Jones at Bridgestone Arena on Friday night. Saving Country Music live-blogged the event if you’d like to relive the evening, and Twang Nation has some videos if you weren’t lucky enough to be in the audience.
- Jerald Wayne Mills, 44, of the Wayne Mills Band was shot in the head by the owner of the Pit and Barrel Bar in Nashville early Saturday morning and succumbed to his injuries later that afternoon. Nashville police are investigating the shooting and the shooter’s claim of self-defense.
- A tour bus carrying Willie Nelson’s band crashed outside of Sulphur Springs, Texas early Saturday morning. Three band members were injured: Paul English (ankle injury), Billy English (hip injury) and Tom Hawkins (cracked rib). Nelson postponed all remaining November dates and will resume his tour next month.
- The American Music Awards were held last night. Taylor Swift (Artist of the Year, Favorite Female Artist of the Year: Pop/Rock, Favorite Female Artist of the Year: Country, Favorite Country Album), Luke Bryan (Favorite Male Artist of the Year: Country), Lady Antebellum (Favorite Band, Duo, or Group: Country), and Florida Georgia Line (Single of the Year: “Cruise”) all took home trophies.
- The Grand Ole Opry just uploaded some live performance videos that are doozies: Sarah Darling performing “Landslide,” Kacey Musgraves performing “Are You Lonesome Tonight” and Little Big Town singing “Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes.”
- In other Kacey Musgraves news, a “fan” stole her harmonica after a show in Nacogdoches, TX on Friday night and then she tweeted a picture of herself with the evidence to Musgraves. After being shamed by Kacey’s fans on the social media site, the harmonica is supposedly en route to its rightful owner.
- Musgraves and Dale Watson’s Austin City Limits taping is being live-streamed tonight beginning at 9 p.m. Eastern.
- The Grand Ole Opry will raise ticket prices at the Opry House beginning in February. They’ve added a Premium Main Floor section; a ticket there will cost $69.50. Other sections are more moderate in their increases.
- Chris Parton of CMT Edge interviewed Jason Eady about his upcoming album, Daylight & Dark. An excerpt: “The temptation when you sit down to write is to say, ‘Am I going to write a happy song or sad song?’ … I kinda got into vinyl [records] this last year and a-half. So as I started listening to all these songs that I had loved forever with the album cuts on there, I felt that was something they didn’t really used to do. It didn’t really walk either line. It just kind of told what the story was, and whether it’s happy or sad is up to you as the listener. So I really wanted to try and get into that, and I wrote the title track “Daylight & Dark.” Once we wrote that song, I kind of knew where I wanted to go with the rest of the record as far as writing. It really took that direction.”
- Dolly Parton is a singing, wisecracking hologram Ghost of Christmas Past in Dollywood’s theater production of A Christmas Carol.
- Story Behind the Song: Alabama’s “Born Country.”
- Chuck Dauphin of Billboard interviewed Bill Anderson about his new album, Life!
- Our friend Kelly Dearmore interviewed Rosehill about how they turned tragedy into something positive: the Save a Life Tonight campaign, which aims to raise awareness about suicide prevention. All proceeds from the duo’s song “The Bible and The Gun” will be donated to suicide prevention organizations.
- The resplendent C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country over at Country California.
- North Carolina native Harper Van Hoy, longtime fiddle player and founder of the Ole Time Fiddlers and Bluegrass Festival at Fiddler’s Grove, passed away last week at the age of 92.
- Rosanne Cash was honored by The Old State House Museum on Saturday for her contributions to the development of Arkansas history and culture through her work to restore her father’s boyhood home in Dyess.
- Can you ethically review an album without a physical copy of the CD?
- Eric Paslay will release his self-titled debut album on February 4.
- Bart Crow and wife Brooke welcomed twin boys last week.
- A 120-year-old wax-covered cylinder containing the earliest known recording of a black vocal group named the Unique Quartet (aka The Unique Quartette) — one of only two copies known to exist — was auctioned on Saturday; the winning bid was $1,110. The other known copy is at the Library of Congress.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Green River Ordinance – “Flying”
Star Anna – “For Anyone”
Ronnie Dunn – “Kiss You There”
SHEL – “Lost At Sea”
Ronnie Fauss – “Good Enough”
Whitney Wolanin – “Run, Run Rudolph”
The Band Perry and Fall Out Boy – “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ‘Em Up)” (from CMT Crossroads)
Mindy Smith – “Tomorrow is Christmas Day”
Bottle Rockets – “Every Kinda Everything”
Paul Metsa – “Jack Ruby”
Leah Turner – “Take the Keys”
Niall Toner – “Burren Backstep”
Brian Wright – “Rosalee”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.