Willie Nelson Way Passes Unanimously; Sexy Country Songs; Luke McBain Back For Round Three
- The town of Helotes, Texas voted to amend the name of one of its oldest drags. The street in question, Old Bandera Way, is remaining Old Bandera Way, but also taking on the name Willie Nelson Way. And in other street news, Patsy Cline won’t be having her own way, or boulevard, anytime soon. A bill that was introduced to change the name of Music Square East in Nashville to Patsy Cline Boulevard was withdrawn because one of the residents likes living on Music Square East.
- The new Joe Nichols album Old Things New is a steal at $5.00 on Amazon.
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day belongs to one Ray Wylie Hubbard. Listen to a recording of “A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There is No C)” from a recent session at KUT.
- In his latest Soapbox entry, Charlie Daniels recounted the events surrounding his stroke.
- The Boot compiled a list of the 10 sexiest songs in country music.
- Saguaro Road Records plans to release a video for the Patty Loveless cover of “Busted” within the next month.
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope digs the new Randy Kohrs album Quicksand.
- The new Jo Dee Messina record, Unmistakable, is slated for an April 13 release while newcomer Easton Corbin should see his self-titled debut released March 2.
- Chris Neal argues that Kris Kristofferson‘s voice wasn’t bad, it just took time for him to harness it properly.
In a culture so youth-obsessed that beautiful twentysomething starlets regularly disfigure themselves with plastic surgery in a quest for inhuman perfection, we are lucky to have artists like Kristofferson frankly chronicling the view. While it may sometimes be difficult to face the hard truths of aging, Closer to the Bone is also about the ways in which time leads us to a deeper understanding of life’s value. In its songs, Kristofferson tells us simple things we might assume we already know: that we should let our loved ones know how we feel about them; that resiliency is worthy of respect; that each new experience is to be savored. But do we feel these things, or only think them? May we all get far enough down the road to know for certain.
- I don’t know if this is really considered news, but what the heck: Shania Twain has new photos. (via NashvilleGab)
- A newly-engaged Sarah Buxton scored an opening gig on the Martina McBride and Trace Adkins‘ Shine All Night tour.
- The Trace Adkins-inspired comic series Luke McBain is back for a third installment after the first two issues did pretty good for themselves.
- Jason Aldean has been doing pretty good for himself, too. Broken Bow Records threw a lavish shindig for the rocker-in-disguise on Tuesday night to celebrate the platinum status of his latest album, Wide Open.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …