Willie Nelson Visits Fallon; Ray Wylie Hubbard Announces New Tour Dates; Philly Folk Festival Lineup Announced; Stream New Bob Wayne Song
- No Depression crowd-sourced questions for a Marty Stuart interview.
- Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, and John Hiatt will headline the 51st Philadelphia Folk Festival, which will be held August 17-19. Wanda Jackson, Pokey LaFarge, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and others are also slated to perform.
- Eddy Arnold’s grandson, Shannon Pollard, along with Don Cusic and Cheetah Chrome, has formed Plowboy Records, a label with a mission is “to celebrate and nurture the legacy of the original Tennessee Plowboy and provide a home for recorded projects that focus on American music regardless of genre.” The label’s first release is a new Bobby Bare album which is currently being recorded; an Eddy Arnold tribute record featuring bands from multiple genres is also in the works.
- Watch footage from Willie Nelson’s visit to Late Night with Jimmy Fallon here.
- Yesterday, Ricky Skaggs celebrated thirty years as an Opry member.
- Loretta Lynn will be on NBC’s Today Show May 21.
- On May 29, The Mavericks will release the five-song EP Suited Up and Ready. You can stream the first single, “Born to Be Blue,” on the band’s Facebook page.
- Ray Wylie Hubbard announced a string of tour dates.
- On June 16, The Country Music Hall of Fame will honor guitarist Jimmy Capps as part of their series Nashville Cats: A Celebration of Music City Musicians.
- Rascal Flatts’ Changed has been certified gold.
- Ryan Adams has been covering Danzig’s “Mother” during his European shows; Paste has video.
- On June 5, John Rich, Kellie Pickler, and Darius Rucker will perform at a benefit concert for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- American Songwriter is offering a free download of Andre Williams & The Sadies’ “I’ll Do Most Anything for Your Love.”
- IBMA’s World of Bluegrass is moving to Raleigh, N.C. in 2013.
- Singer Amber Hayes is in the upcoming movie Cowgirls N’ Angels, which opens May 25. According to the press release, Lonestar’s Richie McDonald appears as her character’s father, and the two sing a duet together.
- Here’s the trailer for the upcoming television show Nashville, starring Connie Britton.
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …