Willie Nelson Tune Lands On List Of Most Unusual Funeral Songs
- Centennial Park, the largest provider of cemetery, crematorium, and memorial services in South Australia just released its top ten lists for the most popular and most unusual funeral songs and Willie Nelson rests at No. 8 on the “Most Unusual” list for the Percy Mayfield penned tune, “Hit the Road Jack” (although I can’t seem to find the Willie version anywhere).
In discussing the unusual song list, Centennial Park CEO Bryan Elliot notes that the recent trend in funeral music is to choose musical selections that are less traditional and more personal in order to tailor the service to match the individuality of the recently deceased. For those wondering how guests and family members accept the appearance of a classic rock song at a somber ceremony, Elliot states that, “Some of the more unusual songs we hear actually work very well within the service, because they represent the person’s character.”
I wonder if we’d see more country music make the list if an American-based funeral provider followed Centennial’s cue.
- The current cover story for Nashville Scene dives into Ringo Starr‘s 1970 country music album Beaucoups of Blues, describing in detail the recording sessions and events leading up to the album; Starr’s second solo effort. Charlie Daniels played guitar for the session and credits the album for helping legitimize country music in the rock world.
- The fans at Country Fest 2008 in Cadott, Wis. were wooed by Blake Shelton with a special poem commemorating his festival experience.
- On the verge of breaking into the top ten for the first time, Miranda Lambert is enjoying her steady rise as a country star.
“I really was trying to build a strong foundation for myself. This is all I want to do. I really didn’t care if I had one of those shoot-up-to-No. 1 singles,” she says. “It really gives me a place to grow to and also validates me as an artist.
“I feel like I can breathe a little bit now. People are finally saying, ‘OK, we understand what you do, and we accept it and we lift it up.’ I think it just gives me the freedom to be who I am.”
She’s currently writing material for her next album, which she plans to have ready for an early 2009 release.
- Country Universe wants to know what country albums from the past 25 years you consider essential.
- Todd Snider refers to himself as a peace queer, which coincidentally is the title of his next album. He explains what it’s all about:
“In six sentences, the record goes like this: Here’s the kid being told everything’s going to be great. Here’s the reality of that. Here’s that kid when he comes home a sad and banged-up and angry ‘winner.’ Here’s the breakdown of why I think that’s happening. Here’s the guy in our culture that I think is causing that to happen, and it’s not a president. And then here’s what I think is going to happen to that guy. And then we roll credits.”
- Ninebullets.net scored a studio cut from Chris Knight‘s upcoming Heart of Stone album, along with a few demo cuts from tracks that will be on the same album. Good stuff.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.