Willie Nelson Signs to Rounder; Country Music’s 50th Anniversary Celebration Coming To DVD; Sarah Buxton Engaged
- Rounder Records announced that they have signed Willie Nelson and will release his T Bone Burnett-produced album, Country Music, on April 13.
- Chet Flippo suspects genres will go the way of the album.
- Thanks to the work of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, four new DVDs (presented on two volumes) of Opry footage from 1978 will be released later this month. (via reader email)
For more than five months in 1978, many of country music’s greatest stars gathered at the Grand Ole Opry House for a special celebration. With cameras rolling, the festive occasion was the commemoration of country music’s 50th anniversary.
[...] Some seven hours of music and celebration were captured on film in an economical and democratic fashion. In an attempt to be both fair and topical, there was no primary host or central act. Instead, what was filmed was rotating interviewers and multiple groups selected, with the show designed to cover the entire scope of country music.
- GAC posted the first of a three part audio interview with Sara Evans on the subject of her new book.
- Sarah Buxton is engaged.
- Country California Fake News: George Strait Still Endlessly Amused by Puns Involving His Last Name
- Eleven Hundred Springs frontman Matt Hillyer shared five records that inspire him with Sounds Country.
- Toby Keith and Mark Wright shared a few more details about Show Dog-Universal Music. Keith will oversee much of the creative process while Wright tackles the business side.
“Mark makes his living being a record executive,” Keith said. “I don’t have a connection with this town. I don’t need it, but I’m not going to run a vanity label and sit over here and say those artists don’t deserve that. They do. If they want to do the awards shows and be in the political part of this, Mark’s better suited at rubbing shoulders with those guys. And I know I stand in the way.”
- In the first of a two part series, Country Universe listed the best country albums of 2009.
- Reba McEntire will release a live DVD, CMT Invitation Only: Reba, on Feb. 9.
- My Kind of Country is giving away the two-CD set Patsy Cline Gold and a DVD copy of the movie Sweet Dreams. To enter, leave a comment with the name of your favorite singer who’s been influenced by Patsy.
- Winners of the Gruene With Envy Awards have been announced.
- CMT posted a video of Will Hoge and his two cohorts performing “Winter Coat” acoustically from a recent visit.
- Country Haiku:
On the road again
Yep, that’s where that possum was
And now it’s roadkill
- Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Lady Antebellum celebrated the success of its song “Need You Now” on Wednesday. Not only did the song hit No. 1, but label chief Mike Dungan noted that it has crossed over to the pop charts.
- The Crazy Heart soundtrack, Patty Griffin‘s Downtown Church, and Ray Wylie Hubbard‘s A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C) all earned high marks from The Austin Chronicle.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.