Willie Nelson Reschedules; Country Hall of Fame to Reopen this Weekend; Country Stars Lose Millions In Gear
- Willie Nelson canceled or rescheduled eight of his upcoming shows.
- In his latest blog post, Robbie Fulks ponders the similarities in the music and book industries and attempts to clarify what role labels will play, if any, in the future.
Chely Wrighttalked to EW.com’s Whitney Pastorek at length about her decision to come out and what she thinks the ramifications of that decision will be. They also cover the role two other country stars had in her life: Brad Paisley, whom Wright was on some level romantically involved, and John Rich, who made a comment a number of years ago that Wright says caused her to suffer a meltdown.
“[John] said, ‘You’re not gay are you?!’ I said, ‘No, John, I’m not.’ He said, ‘Good, thank God.’ And that began a spiral for me,” the 39-year-old singer recalled. “I had a meltdown shortly after that.”
Rich himself responded to the accusations on Wednesday:
“I would never pass judgment on any friend of mine. I feel awful that, at this time in Chely’s life, my decade old comment – ‘Good, thank God’ – was taken the wrong way,” he told Access in a statement.
“I was clumsily trying to express my relief that even a country boy like me had a one-in-a-million chance of having a beer with a woman as talented and attractive as Chely,” the statement continued.
- Farce the Music is giving away two copies of Willie Nelson‘s album Country Music.
- The Boot listed 10 sad loves songs in country music. Take a guess at which song tops the list.
- Larry Gatlin did coke at the White House.
- Willie Nelson on sad songs: (via Nashville Gab)
‘We enjoy making ourselves feel sad. People will pay good money to come and cry. Give me a hundred bucks for a ticket and I’ll make you cry!’
And are there any that make him cry? ‘You do have to be careful singing these songs over and over again because they can become self-fulfilling. Some of my songs I find quite painful to sing because they remind me of certain times in my life.
‘There are some I have written and recorded which I don’t perform for that reason. I don’t want to go back there.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum plans to reopen this weekend. Fortunately, the exhibits were unaffected by the recent flood.
- Damage at at Soundcheck Nashville, a facility where stars rent space to store their gear, is estimated to be in the tens of millions. Brad Paisley lost most of his gear. So did Keith Urban. And Steve Wariner. Word has it that Vince Gill may have lost the majority of his guitar collection too, which included irreplaceable vintage pieces with historic value.
- Nashville Scene: Elizabeth Cook‘s latest, Welder, proves a total hipster can make a great country record
- Results from a new study conclude that there isn’t a clear relationship between the decline in sales and file sharing, but rather problems in the recording industry are from its lack of innovation.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …