Willie Nelson Goes Naked For New Album
- In the latest Rolling Stone, Vanessa Grigoriadis notes that aside from Willie Nelson‘s project with Asleep at the Wheel, he has another album slated for early ’09 titled Naked Willie. It’ll be produced by his harmonica player, Mickey Raphael, and consist of his RCA recordings from 1966 to 1970, without the strings and schmaltz. “For the album cover,” says Raphael, “Willie took a picture of himself with his iPhone while he was in the bubble bath, and sent it to me.” (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Joe Diffie‘s wife organized a surprise birthday party for him last night and among the friends she invited were: Trace Adkins, George Jones, Linda Davis, Hal Ketchum, Opry stars Jack Greene and Jan Howard. Music City TV has pictures.
- The Houston Chronicle‘s HandStamp blog published a list of the top Houston CDs of 2008 and it’s scattered with albums from Miss Leslie, Katie Armiger, Johnny Falstaff and Amber Digby.
- An unauthorized Keith Urban biography, Fortunate Son: The Unlikely Rise of Keith Urban, is scheduled for release in Australian bookstores next month. There’s no word on a U.S. release date, yet.
“The first biography of this movie-star-handsome country hero tells the unlikely story of how Urban followed and eventually fulfilled his dream of selling country music back to the Americans, the people who created it in the first place,” reads the book description on the Random House Australia website.
- Photocrap took a turn for the serious and posted a list of the top “mainstream” country albums from the past year.
- The third season of CMT’s reality show Gone Country airs next month, and at least one of it’s cast members is considering immersing herself into country music–pop singer Taylor Dayne. (via NashvilleGab)
“To me, I don’t call it country anymore,” she says of the genre’s broadening parameters. “If you are looking at the charts, there would be nothing better to cross over (into) as an artist because I’ve crossed over every other genre except hip-hop.”
- Fred Bartenstein, a long time bluegrass radio personality, historian and photographer, is offering several hundred vinyl LPs of bluegrass and country from his collection for sale online.
- John Carter Cash just finished producing an album for Wylie & the Wild West, has been working in the studio with Loretta Lynn, and in January, Johnny Cash Remixed will be released, an album that he co-executive produced. Obviously, he’s a busy dude, but CMT‘s Edward Morris notes that his most recent project is titled Chapter & Verse, a repackaging of Johnny Cash‘s 1990 reading of the entire New Testament onto a single DVD and an accompanying CD.
- The Dallas Observer music blog DC9 at Night published their top ten country albums of 2008.
- After unsuccessfully searching for an original recording of Buck Owens’ 1979 duet with Emmylou Harris, “Play Together Again Again,” the Whooping Llama blogger bought the original 45 online and made it available for your enjoyment.
- Melodic Sunburst published a review of Megan Munroe‘s album One More Broken String and says that she’s gained traction with airplay in other countries and perhaps it’s time the United States caught up.
- Bluegrass Now has been published since December 1990, but earlier this year the publication ceased the print edition and moved operations online. Unfortunately, the downturn in the economy has brought an end to that as well.
- If you haven’t grabbed this Justin Townes Earle bootleg from Pickathon 2008 yet, why are you still here?
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.