Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Among New Releases; ‘Crazy Heart’ on DVD; Brooks & Dunn Tribute Recap
New releases for the week of April 20, 2010 include:
- On top of all the new music releases the Crazy Heart DVD was released as well.
- Producer Dann Huff and publisher Darrell Franklin partnered with BMG Rights Management to form BMG Rights Management Nashville, a full-service publishing company.
- Gloriana‘s Tom Gossin took to Twitter to vent his frustration over not winning the new artist category:
We need to keep country music progressing, not regressing. You can only say stuff about farms and tractors so many times before its lame.
We are artist trying to make art. If we were to just copy something someone already said, would that be art? We want to say something new!
- Alan Jackson received his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last week and celebrated with a small-scale, 21-song set for several dozen fans.
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica parallels the career arches of Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard and describes both new records as “carefully calibrated responses to years of style dilution.” Of the two, he cites Willie’s project as being more successful.
- Chris Talbott recapped last night’s “ACM Presents: Brooks & Dunn — The Last Rodeo” concert at the MGM Grand, which included performances from Faith Hill, George Strait, Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Reba McEntire, Miranda Lambert, and more.
[Taylor] Swift surprised Dunn with a video that showed him doing an imitation of the 20-year-old sensation’s trademark head shake.
“You had no idea how important that moment is because in 20 years that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him mess his hair up,” Brooks told Swift.
- CMT has new videos for Brad Paisley‘s “Water” and Jerrod Niemann‘s “Lover, Lover.”
- The 13.1 million viewers for this year’s ACM Awards show was down from last year’s 14.8 million.
- Kenny Chesney talked to The Boston Globe‘s Sarah Rodman about his new 3D concert film.
- There are terrific moments on Willie Nelson‘s new album Country Music, but Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran calls it “a record without a spiritual core.”
The problem is that Willie Nelson’s voice thinks it’s enough to belong to Willie Nelson. In concert, where Nelson (who turns 77 next week) talks his lyrics as much as he sings them these days, he’s earned such a pass. When he sings all over the beat onstage with his exaggerated nasal twang, that’s cool because, c’mon people, that’s Willie Freakin’ Nelson!
But on record, especially a high-profile one like this, “One Take” Willie’s vocal imperfections stick out.
This album took four days to record, but it sounds like it could’ve used another week.
- The new Jamie Wilson EP Dirty Blonde Hair is now available on iTunes. (via Twitter)
Speaking of Jamie Wilson, here she is in a new Music Fog video performing the Kevin Welch song “Too Old To Die Young” with her bandmates in The Trishas.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …