Willie Cut His Hair; New Music From Jason Eady, Ryan Shupe, and Todd Snider; Chris LeDoux Memorialized
- The most famous braids in America are no more.
- Chris LeDoux will be memorialized next month with a 13-foot bronze statue and the renaming of a park in Kaycee, Wyoming. The statue, featuring LeDoux riding a horse named Stormy Weather atop a guitar-shaped base, will be called “Good Ride Cowboy” after the 2005 Garth Brooks single.
- In his music and with the upcoming Delfest, Del McCoury attempts to bridge the gap between genres.
- One of the bands appearing at the previously mentioned Delfest is Trampled by Turtles, a new band that CMT’s Chris Parton says likes their bluegrass fast and dirty.
- Jason Eady released a new song titled “Battlefield” just in time for Memorial Day. (via @jasoneady)
- Kris Kristofferson, Steve Earle, and Corb Lund are a few of the subjects of Farce the Music’s fourth day of alt-country parody album covers.
String Theory Media’s Craig Havighurst is on a mission to persuade the University of Illinois Press to publish a paperback edition of his book Air Castle of the South: WSM and the Making of Music City and he needs your help. Also be sure to check out some of his recent work for some cool artists:
Darrell Scott: Video and written bios for his new album, A Crooked Road.
- The latest CMT Unplugged session features performances from Reba McEntire, including a cover of Beyonce‘s “If I Were a Boy.”
- It’s not Tuesday, but Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband have a new album out today titled Brand New Shoes. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Country California Fake News: Julianne Hough Working on Album of Appalachian Murder Ballads
“[...] I knew I wanted to cover the standards that I loved as a little girl – Omie Wise, Pretty Polly, Banks of the Ohio,” said Hough, naming a trio of traditional songs in which women are senselessly murdered, “but I also wanted to make it sort of fun and contemporary, which is why I included a song called ‘Look Out, Chuck.’”
- CMT’s Edward Morris recapped the 85th Opry anniversary celebration that took place on Tuesday night with Steve Wariner, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill and Brad Paisley.
- In honor of Tom T. Hall‘s recent 74th birthday, check out “I Flew Over Our House Last Night,” a song the Groover’s Paradise blogger names as one of his favorites.
- In an interview with CMT, Merle Haggard commented on the recent increased interest in his music:
You mentioned Kristofferson and Willie. Do you think there’s increased interest in you three guys maybe because people are beginning to realize that guys like you aren’t coming around again?
I hope so. That suits me fine. If that’s a fact, it’s great. I’m sure it’s more complex than that. I think it’s a combination of the availability on the Internet and the opportunity for people to get what they really want rather than being force fed with music like we have been over the past 20 years or so. And now our audience is varied quite a bit in age. A lot of young people are coming in to our concerts for the first time because of something they saw on the Internet.
- Mindy McCready was rushed to the hospital on Tuesday because of what her mother initially reported as a prescription drug overdose. However, the singer’s reps say her mother overreacted and that McCready merely had a bad reaction to the painkillers she took for a broken toe.
- Todd Snider and the Eastside Bulldogs (consisting of Elizabeth Cook, Bobby Bare Jr., Tim Carroll, Jen Gunderman, Mark Horn, Eric McConnell, and Dennis Taylor) released a new single titled “Come On Up And See Me Sometime” and an accompanying video with proceeds going towards flood relief in Nashville. (via @yeproc)
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.