Western Underground Remembers Chris LeDoux And Little Texas Records A New Album
- Remember Chris LeDoux’s band, Western Underground? They’re still touring. At first they were going to do kind of a goodbye/tribute tour, but found out that the fans weren’t ready for them to go anywhere yet. Mark Cowling wrote an article about the band in which the members talk about how they got started with LeDoux and what kind of fire and passion LeDoux brought to his music.
“He never said, ‘Hey, this is in D’ and … there were no musical terms. ‘Four bars and come in boys.’ None of that. If he was going to tell you about a song we were going to try to play, or create, he’d paint a picture for you. He’d tell you about the sand blowing through the windmill, it’s kind of purply outside, you can hear that fly buzzing around. Our job was to put that in musical form. In the beginning we just sort of stood there with our mouths open. I was fascinated by it right from the start, thinking, ‘Wow, this guy sees music just like pictures.’ I mean that’s the ultimate: That’s the way you’re supposed to see it.”
- One of our readers, David S, wrote in asking us to inform everyone to tune into CMT today for Miranda Lambert’s appearance on CMT Top 20 Countdown to introduce her new video for “Famous In A Small Town.” If you don’t want to wait around all day for it to air, just head on over to CMT.com and watch the video in the CMT Loaded section.
- George Jones, Tom T. Hall and “Cowboy Jack” Clement recall guitar pulls that were held at the Cash’s home.
- The band Little Texas, now down to four original members, will be releasing a new album (Missing Years) on June 12.
- Toby Keith’s fourth annual golf event will help benefit the families of children fighting cancer. It will be preceded by a party and auction in Oklahoma City on April 27th.
- Josh Gracin will be performing for Laura Bush today at the Third Annual Helping America’s Youth Regional Conference in Nashville.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."