Wanda Jackson Rocks Her Way To Hall of Fame Honors
- Country-rockabilly star Wanda Jackson will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland on April 4.
“There are a lot of other halls of fame, and I’m in a lot of others around the whole world, but we all know that this is the big one,” she said. “I’m thrilled to be in with all of my buddies — Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash — the guys I worked with in the 1950s. So now it’s official that Elvis was right: I could sing this music, and I still can and do.”
- Test your country music knowledge with Chet Flippo’s first quiz of 2009.
- The NFL announced that Faith Hill will sing “America the Beautiful” during the pregame show at the Super Bowl next month, putting her in the company of Vikki Carr, Ray Charles and Alicia Keys as the only artists to have sung the song before a Super Bowl.
- Country California‘s C.M. Wilcox ranked Gary Allan‘s catalog in order from best to not so best.
- Personally speaking, I’m a Chevy guy, but Keith Urban features a pretty nice Mustang in his video for “Sweet Thing,” which debuted on MySpace today.
- Dierks Bentley will be shipping 2,000 boxes of Cracker Jacks to radio stations to help promote his current single, “Feel That Fire.” Fifty-one of the boxes will have scratch-off tickets with prizes ranging from a Grand Prize Backyard Concert by Bentley to autographed guitars, prize packs, customized video liners and more
- Amber Waves of Twang‘s Chip Frazier provides a glimpse at what you can expect from Donna Ulisse‘s upcoming bluegrass release, Walk The Mountain Down.
- Before counting down his top 25 Trisha Yearwood songs, Country Universe reader Cory DeStein shared a touching story about the affection he and his grandmother shared for Yearwood.
- Still Is Still Moving predicts Willie and the Wheel will be the best album of 2009.
- If the Crowe Brothers had been born a few decades earlier, Juli Thanki believes they’d be listed alongside all of the other great brother duos of country/western and bluegrass music. Read her review of their latest album, Brothers-N-Harmony.
- In an interview for NPR, World Cafe host David Dye talks to Shooter Jennings about the collection of songs he recorded with his dad in 1995 which appear on the recently released album, Waylon Forever.
- Mark your calendars for April 21, the day Dale Watson drops The Truckin’ Sessions: Volume Two.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.