Wanda Jackson Finds Producer In Jack White; Dierks Bentley Plans Bluegrass Record
- Jack White is scheduled to produce a forthcoming album for Wanda Jackson.
- Trace Adkins is the new celebrity spokesperson for BC Headache Powder. The only other country artist the company has worked with in its 100-year history is Faron Young.
- The title track to Jerry Lee Lewis‘ recent EP release, Mean Old Man, was written by Kris Kristofferson, but it’s not the first time the two have collaborated.
He and Shel Silverstein wrote ‘Once More with Feeling,’ a hit for Jerry Lee in the early ’70s. “I remember Shel and I sat with Jerry Lee over in [producer] Jerry Kennedy’s office, and he played our song over and over, maybe 30 times,” Kris recalled. “Shel leaned over to me and said ‘Can you believe this,’ and Jerry Lee stopped the tape. He looked at Shel and said, ‘Killer if you want to talk, go outside.’
New releases for the week of November 17, 2009 include:
- Twang Nation hates on the CMA Awards.
- For her first single, newcomer Margaret Durante covered the song “Use Somebody” from some band called Kings of Leon. Watch the video at CMT.
- Music Row’s David M. Ross asks, “Is Taylor the new Garth?”
- Ninebullets.net recommends Works Progress Administration, the band whose core consists of Glen Phillips, Sean Watkins, and Luke Bulla.
- Watch Carrie Underwood perform “Temporary Home” live from the CMT show Invitation Only.
- John Prine commented on the state of country music in a Q&A with The Arizona Republic:
My dad was a country music fan. I’d sit with him in the kitchen and listen to Webb Pierce, Ray Price, Lefty Frizzell and Hank Williams on the radio. Country music today feels like I’m sitting with my therapist. It has nothing to do with getting drunk.
- Visit Country California for an especially good edition of Quotable Country.
- Tommy Cash is not Johnny, it’s a fact that he’s well aware of, but that doesn’t keep him from feeling proud of the career he’s had and what he does for a living.
- Joe Nichols on recording Old Things New, his first album since rehab:
“There were moments when I thought, ‘I’ve lost it, and I might not be coming back from this,’” he said. “I’ve heard of people having a mental breakdown and not being able to sing anymore, and I thought I was on the verge of that. I wasn’t sounding anything like I wanted, or feeling anything like where I wanted to be. I knew it didn’t feel right, and I wasn’t doing it like before, and I had to take baby steps and re-learn how to sing. Even the tiny, simple things I started doing way back when — things that should be easy — were hard. And it scared me. I was climbing up hill, and every step was harder. ”
- A Tale of Two Records: Dierks Bentley plans to release two new albums in 2010; one bluegrass and the other country.
- All Songs Considered’s list of the decade’s 50 most important recordings includes Brad Paisley‘s song “Ticks,” the Harry McClintock version of “Big Rock Candy Mountain” from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, and the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss song “Please Read the Letter.”
Verlon Thompson might be best known as Guy Clark‘s sideman, but he’s also a damn fine, albeit unsung songwriter. Listen to his song “Caddo County” at Alt-512 Music Musings.
And because one can never get enough Verlon Thomson:
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …