Wanda Jackson Finds Producer In Jack White; Dierks Bentley Plans Bluegrass Record
- Jack White is scheduled to produce a forthcoming album for Wanda Jackson.
- Trace Adkins is the new celebrity spokesperson for BC Headache Powder. The only other country artist the company has worked with in its 100-year history is Faron Young.
- The title track to Jerry Lee Lewis‘ recent EP release, Mean Old Man, was written by Kris Kristofferson, but it’s not the first time the two have collaborated.
He and Shel Silverstein wrote ‘Once More with Feeling,’ a hit for Jerry Lee in the early ’70s. “I remember Shel and I sat with Jerry Lee over in [producer] Jerry Kennedy’s office, and he played our song over and over, maybe 30 times,” Kris recalled. “Shel leaned over to me and said ‘Can you believe this,’ and Jerry Lee stopped the tape. He looked at Shel and said, ‘Killer if you want to talk, go outside.’
New releases for the week of November 17, 2009 include:
- Twang Nation hates on the CMA Awards.
- For her first single, newcomer Margaret Durante covered the song “Use Somebody” from some band called Kings of Leon. Watch the video at CMT.
- Music Row’s David M. Ross asks, “Is Taylor the new Garth?”
- Ninebullets.net recommends Works Progress Administration, the band whose core consists of Glen Phillips, Sean Watkins, and Luke Bulla.
- Watch Carrie Underwood perform “Temporary Home” live from the CMT show Invitation Only.
- John Prine commented on the state of country music in a Q&A with The Arizona Republic:
My dad was a country music fan. I’d sit with him in the kitchen and listen to Webb Pierce, Ray Price, Lefty Frizzell and Hank Williams on the radio. Country music today feels like I’m sitting with my therapist. It has nothing to do with getting drunk.
- Visit Country California for an especially good edition of Quotable Country.
- Tommy Cash is not Johnny, it’s a fact that he’s well aware of, but that doesn’t keep him from feeling proud of the career he’s had and what he does for a living.
- Joe Nichols on recording Old Things New, his first album since rehab:
“There were moments when I thought, ‘I’ve lost it, and I might not be coming back from this,’” he said. “I’ve heard of people having a mental breakdown and not being able to sing anymore, and I thought I was on the verge of that. I wasn’t sounding anything like I wanted, or feeling anything like where I wanted to be. I knew it didn’t feel right, and I wasn’t doing it like before, and I had to take baby steps and re-learn how to sing. Even the tiny, simple things I started doing way back when — things that should be easy — were hard. And it scared me. I was climbing up hill, and every step was harder. ”
- A Tale of Two Records: Dierks Bentley plans to release two new albums in 2010; one bluegrass and the other country.
- All Songs Considered’s list of the decade’s 50 most important recordings includes Brad Paisley‘s song “Ticks,” the Harry McClintock version of “Big Rock Candy Mountain” from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, and the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss song “Please Read the Letter.”
Verlon Thompson might be best known as Guy Clark‘s sideman, but he’s also a damn fine, albeit unsung songwriter. Listen to his song “Caddo County” at Alt-512 Music Musings.
And because one can never get enough Verlon Thomson:
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.