Vince Gill’s Excellence; Rodney Atkins Now Officially Associated with Cheese; Dierks Bentley’s Bluegrass
- Belmont University plans to honor Vince Gill on April 24 with its E. Mulloy Award of Excellence, which basically means he’s a pretty excellent dude.
- Dierks Bentley previewed tracks from his new, guest-heavy bluegrass album on Tuesday afternoon, CMT has the details:
Although the instrumentation and sensibility of the 12-song album are solidly bluegrass, the project ventures well beyond the traditional sounds of that genre. The title cut, for example, is a rap-flavored, banjo-inflected paean to rural living […]
- That’s one creepy Willie doll.
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese partnered with Rodney Atkins.
- A lawsuit filed in March 2005 requesting that royalties owed from Don Walser‘s recordings be given to heirs will go before the court on May 12.
- “The Gambler” and “A Country Boy Can Survive” are two songs that bring back childhood memories for the ninebullets.net blogger. What are some of yours?
- Country Haiku:
They called him “The Streak”
‘Til someone got a good look
Now he’s called “Shorty”
- Research from a recent CMT survey shows that more than 175 acts are signed to the top country labels. Edward Morris has a breakdown of the labels, their currently signed artists, and exiting artists.
- Celebrate today’s festive spirit with Juli Thanki’s playlist of 20 songs about fools, you just might gain a nugget or two of wisdom.
- The Johnny Cash Project is an interactive website attempting to create a video for the song “Ain’t No Grave” by piecing together portraits submitted by the community. The way it works is, users are assigned a single frame which they can draw on using the provided web editor. When the user is done, the picture is submitted and the video is created one piece at a time.
- The lineup for Old Settler’s Music Festival, taking place just south of Austin starting April 15, has been finalized.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox reviewed the Johnny Gimble album Celebrating With Friends:
This being a tribute to a Texas Playboy, music is obviously every bit as important as words and vocals, and it’s the music that makes the biggest impression. The band, which includes son Dick Gimble on bass, is simply excellent. There are no showoffs here, just great players assembled to pay tribute to a friend and hero. The fact that this is a great band record, not just a great fiddle record, becomes apparent on instrumentals like “Gardenia Waltz,” “Rural Riffin’,” and “Mandelopin’,” which are every bit as enjoyable as the vocal pieces.
- Add the Student Government at UT Austin to the list of those who don’t want the Cactus Cafe to close.
- We have winners and we have non-winners. The former group just scored a copy of Alan Jackson‘s new album Freight Train. Thanks to everyone who entered and congrats to Josh, Rick, Nicolas, Lee, and PaulaW, someone will be in touch shortly to get your contact info.
Music Fog: Gordie Tentrees – “Mercy or Sin”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.