Vince Gill to Receive Frances William Preston Lifetime Music Achievement Award; Stream Kacey Musgraves’ Same Trailer Different Park; New Music Videos
- A march on the CMA offices to protest the elimination of traditional country music from their objectives is being planned for April 17 and a petition is being circulated “to accomplish two things for the worldwide fans of traditional American country music. One to encourage record companies, producers, and recording artists to actually record more traditional country music, bluegrass and folk music, and another demanding radio stations (with emphasis on Clear Channel Radio) that program country music, to include a far larger portion of time devoted to traditional country music, bluegrass and folk music.”
- Ronnie Dunn unveiled “Country This,” the first song from his upcoming, currently untitled album.
- Ben Foster interviewed new Red Bow Records artist Rachel Farley for Roughstock.
- The fifth year of Opry Country Classics shows will begin on March 28 and run every Thursday until May 23.
- The Tennessean’s Peter Cooper looked at the Dixie Chicks’ implosion that happened a decade ago.
- Gene “Geno” LeSage, the longtime keyboardist for Collin Raye, tragically passed away after being swept out to sea trying to save another person’s life. (via Holly Gleason)
- The Grand Ole Opry released a live video of The Pistol Annies covering Loretta Lynn’s “Fist City.”
- In case you missed it, you can catch Luke Bryan’s appearance on Chelsea Lately from last week.
- Darius Rucker’s upcoming video for “Wagon Wheel” will feature the stars of Duck Dynasty.
- Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott is expecting a girl.
- Hannah Blaylock revealed her reason for leaving Edens Edge on Twitter: “Dreams and visions change and that’s life and that’s ok. And even though change is hard sometimes, its what can promote the best kind of growth. I am here to say, I have stepped down as a member of Edens Edge. I don’t know the future- but I do know singing is my life and country music is my soul and its fans are the best fans there is. Im the luckiest girl in the world &so privileged to know &have met all of you. U have brought a love &a light into my life that I never knew b4. I am so thankful and so grateful for all the blessings and opportunities I have been given. I can’t say that enough. I wish Dean and Cherrill the most success, happiness, & fulfillment in the world. The times we have shared 2gether I hold dear to my heart. Let’s keep on chasing our dreams and loving people along the way. Hope to see you on the road.”
- Vince Gill will be honored with the Frances Williams Preston Lifetime Music Achievement Award from the T.J. Martell Foundation.
- The Voice contestant and Big Machine Records artist Cassadee Pope will be the center of a yet-to-be-named reality show on CMT.
- Chuck Dauphin interviewed Billy Dean about his new album, A Man of Good Fortune, for Billboard. An excerpt: “Early in my career, it was about moving country music forward – putting a few different chord changes in there, and rockin’ it up a little bit. Now, at this point in my career, I’m seeing if I can have a little more traditional sound with my voice. That was fun to explore.”
- Cybergrass has some new information about Roads Well Traveled, the upcoming release from Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver due out March 19.
- Kacey Musgraves and her phenomenal new album, Same Trailer, Different Park (which you can stream here), were featured in a Washington Post column.
- On the other coast, the L.A. Times featured Musgraves, Ashley Monroe and Caitlin Rose.
- Paradise: A Divine Bluegrass Musical Comedy is running through the end of the month at the Ruskin Group Theatre in Santa Monica, California.
- Holly Williams talked to the San Diego Union-Tribune about music, family and hunting. An excerpt: “I’m the complete opposite of my lyrics. I think that I’m, you know, really outgoing. I love to throw fabulous dinner parties and drink a lot of wine and put on Jay-Z and dance on the table – not every night – but I definitely turn into something else when I am singing. And when family and friends heard (the new album), in the beginning they were kind of shocked by it. Like where is this coming from, these songs about love and loss and addiction and all the things that you go through as a person?”
- Music videos from the last week or so:
Wade Hayes – “Is It Already Time”
Miranda Lambert – “Mama’s Broken Heart”
The Weekenders – “Chin Up”
Baylou – “Hoedown”
Shooter Jennings – “The Other Life”
Lady Antebellum – “Downtown”
The Avett Brothers – “February Seven”
The Civil Wars – “Long Time Gone”
The April Verch Band – “Broken”
Haley and Michaels – “The Price I Pay”
- CraigR.: I beg everyone to watch the music( if you can call it that)video for Florida Georgia Line with Luke Bryan. …
- Roger: That Don Williams cover of Sing Me Back Home sounds great - have to check out that new CD.
- Gene Cross, Jr.: A very pretty song. I sure look forward to being able to buy the complete CD tomorrow. I am a …
- Kanenrake Stacey: I always wondered why RCA gave up on her so fast, I'm glad to know that it was probably because …
- bob: Great interview of an impressive young lady. I'll have to check out that Blues album when it comes out.
- Jack Pliskin: Oh it's good to hear some real country music being made in this day and age. Don Williams is simply a …
- darol anger: This band is not one you're likely to hear out on the fester or club circuit. It's a rare and …
- Livewire: So that's the interview Best listen to the album and decide for yourself. It was slated in UK's Country Music People Magazine A …
- Stormy: A little more glam rock than New Wave, but here is Kenneth Brian covering David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhfD77QOLY
- Jack Williams: Forgot this one: Richard Thompson - Tempted (Squeeze)