Vince Gill Joins The Time Jumpers; SPBGMA Winners; New Releases; Zac Brown Band Responds To PETA
- Vince Gill is officially a “full-fledged” Time Jumper. He can be seen playing with the band on Monday nights at the Station Inn when he’s not touring.
New releases for the week of February 9, 2010 include:
Reba McEntire – CMT Invitation Only: Reba (DVD)
- Gary Allan’s idea for his Get Off On The Pain tour:
“I thought that it would be really cool and really hip — especially during this ‘Get Off On The Pain’ tour — to have somebody getting tattooed onstage,” he explains of inviting fans to get inked in front of thousands of fans.
- Reckless Kelly‘s Cody Braun on the band’s new album, Somewhere In Time:
“We had our work cut out trying to sell our label (Yep Roc) on the concept,” Cody Braun says. “We wanted to make it clear that this wasn’t a tribute record. It’s still a Reckless Kelly record, but we’re doing someone else’s songs.”
- The video for Luke Bryan‘s song “Rain Is A Good Thing” was released exclusively on iTunes today. (iTunes)
- Nathan Rabin on Kitty Wells career:
Wells couldn’t go on releasing answer songs without being labeled a novelty artist, but those two songs ["It wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" and "I'm Paying For That Back Street Affair"] established the template for her subsequent work. She delved into infidelity over and over, but seldom from the perspective of a cheating wife or mistress. Rather, she sang extensively from the point of view of a traumatized wife trying to hold onto her unfaithful husband.
- Carrie Underwood inspired the specially-created Sesame Street character Carrie Underworm.
- Craig Shelburne listed a sampling of new Americana songs he’s been enjoying the past few weeks.
- Information from Sunday night’s SPBGMA awards is trickling out, but The Bluegrass Blog as a pretty good list of winners posted so far with Rhonda Vincent taking both the traditional female vocalist and entertainer awards. (via reader email)
- The Zac Brown Band used Twitter to respond to a letter PETA penned urging the group to host all-vegan eat and greets:
@zacbrownband: Dear PETA – Plants are living creatures too… Bacon had a mother but so did Pickle. It takes life to support life – welcome to the planet.
@zacbrownband: Chicken is the new tofu.
- Watch the new video for Josh Thompson‘s song “Beer On The Table.”
- Josh Turner is really proud of his song “The Answer:”
I was in my car at night listening to this song, and I started crying because I couldn’t believe that I had written that song. It sounded so great. To this day, I still can’t believe I had a hand in writing it. But I felt very strongly about it being a part of the record because I felt like it was a powerful song. It stood right up next to the other songs we had on the record. I felt like it would really mean a lot to a lot of people.
- Newcomer Laura Bell Bundy isn’t exactly aiming for the younger demographic.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."