Vince Gill Joins The Time Jumpers; SPBGMA Winners; New Releases; Zac Brown Band Responds To PETA
- Vince Gill is officially a “full-fledged” Time Jumper. He can be seen playing with the band on Monday nights at the Station Inn when he’s not touring.
New releases for the week of February 9, 2010 include:
Reba McEntire – CMT Invitation Only: Reba (DVD)
- Gary Allan’s idea for his Get Off On The Pain tour:
“I thought that it would be really cool and really hip — especially during this ‘Get Off On The Pain’ tour — to have somebody getting tattooed onstage,” he explains of inviting fans to get inked in front of thousands of fans.
- Reckless Kelly‘s Cody Braun on the band’s new album, Somewhere In Time:
“We had our work cut out trying to sell our label (Yep Roc) on the concept,” Cody Braun says. “We wanted to make it clear that this wasn’t a tribute record. It’s still a Reckless Kelly record, but we’re doing someone else’s songs.”
- The video for Luke Bryan‘s song “Rain Is A Good Thing” was released exclusively on iTunes today. (iTunes)
- Nathan Rabin on Kitty Wells career:
Wells couldn’t go on releasing answer songs without being labeled a novelty artist, but those two songs ["It wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" and "I'm Paying For That Back Street Affair"] established the template for her subsequent work. She delved into infidelity over and over, but seldom from the perspective of a cheating wife or mistress. Rather, she sang extensively from the point of view of a traumatized wife trying to hold onto her unfaithful husband.
- Carrie Underwood inspired the specially-created Sesame Street character Carrie Underworm.
- Craig Shelburne listed a sampling of new Americana songs he’s been enjoying the past few weeks.
- Information from Sunday night’s SPBGMA awards is trickling out, but The Bluegrass Blog as a pretty good list of winners posted so far with Rhonda Vincent taking both the traditional female vocalist and entertainer awards. (via reader email)
- The Zac Brown Band used Twitter to respond to a letter PETA penned urging the group to host all-vegan eat and greets:
@zacbrownband: Dear PETA – Plants are living creatures too… Bacon had a mother but so did Pickle. It takes life to support life – welcome to the planet.
@zacbrownband: Chicken is the new tofu.
- Watch the new video for Josh Thompson‘s song “Beer On The Table.”
- Josh Turner is really proud of his song “The Answer:”
I was in my car at night listening to this song, and I started crying because I couldn’t believe that I had written that song. It sounded so great. To this day, I still can’t believe I had a hand in writing it. But I felt very strongly about it being a part of the record because I felt like it was a powerful song. It stood right up next to the other songs we had on the record. I felt like it would really mean a lot to a lot of people.
- Newcomer Laura Bell Bundy isn’t exactly aiming for the younger demographic.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …