Video Premiere: Sam Baker — “isn’t love great”
Today we’re proud to premiere Texas singer-songwriter Sam Baker’s new video for “isn’t love great,” a song from his new, self-produced, self-released album say grace (out August 27), a no-frills collection that’ll appeal to fans of artists like John Prine and John Fullbright.
“isn’t love great” resides far from the coiffed hair and capped teeth you’ll find on country music television, as Baker’s weathered voice describes the partnership between a disabled first grade teacher and the man she calls her pimp, two people who have built a life from dancing, strange terms of endearment, and occasional fishnets-and-leather hijinks when the kids are out of the house.
Says Baker, “‘isn’t love great’ [is] a love song. A couple in love invents their own language. Calling someone a gimp means ‘I love you.’ Calling someone a fat man may not mean a man is fat. It means he is loved. It gets complex. It is not wise for an outsider, however, to use the same language when addressing either of the couple.”
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …