Video Premiere: Sam Baker — “isn’t love great”
Today we’re proud to premiere Texas singer-songwriter Sam Baker’s new video for “isn’t love great,” a song from his new, self-produced, self-released album say grace (out August 27), a no-frills collection that’ll appeal to fans of artists like John Prine and John Fullbright.
“isn’t love great” resides far from the coiffed hair and capped teeth you’ll find on country music television, as Baker’s weathered voice describes the partnership between a disabled first grade teacher and the man she calls her pimp, two people who have built a life from dancing, strange terms of endearment, and occasional fishnets-and-leather hijinks when the kids are out of the house.
Says Baker, “‘isn’t love great’ [is] a love song. A couple in love invents their own language. Calling someone a gimp means ‘I love you.’ Calling someone a fat man may not mean a man is fat. It means he is loved. It gets complex. It is not wise for an outsider, however, to use the same language when addressing either of the couple.”
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …