UT Quarterback Colt McCoy Cites Country Songs as Best Motivators
- Josh Turner is set to host the four-hour America’s Grand Ole Opry Weekend Year-End Special.
- On Friday, January 5th Chuck Prophet and friends were accidentally locked in Closer Recording Studios. Armed with a few beers, peanut butter, and a battery powered record player with Waylon Jennings’ Dreaming My Dreams LP the incarcerated occupants made the best of their situation. If the events recorded by John Murry are actually true they decided to reinterpret every song on that Jennings’ LP. The results of which you can listen to and download on Dreaming Waylon’s Dreams. (via Peter’s Postscripts)
- In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve added a feature to every post that allows you to send the contents of that post to your friends via email, or add it to your favorite social bookmarking site. Try it out by clicking on the “Email” and “Share” links.
- Cody Canada says his band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, has no regrets about any decisions that they’ve made when it comes to their music. To illustrate his point he told a story about hanging out with another guy from his label, Tim McGraw.
“We were with Tim McGraw in LA two years ago,” he says. “Joe Nichols, he’s our label mate, just got a gold record. We’re sitting backstage or sitting in our bus or something and I told Tim, ‘Well, let’s get one of those. Let’s get a gold record.’ He said, ‘Well, you let me drive.’
“He was dead serious. He said, ‘You let me drive, you let me pick the songs and I’ll get you one.’ I said, ‘Dude, I was kidding. If we’re going to get a gold record, it’s going to be because of who we are.'”
I guess McGraw finally got his band when Halfway to Hazard came a long.
- Garth Brooks donated mementos from his singing career to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
Brooks’ trademark black Stetson Tyler cowboy hat, a stage outfit of Wrangler jeans and black cowboy boots, and a guitar he smashed on stage at a Dallas concert in 1991 will soon join the artifacts of other musical greats at the “Treasures of American History” exhibit.
- Jesse Dayton and Brennen Leigh preform plenty of covers on their latest album, but This Is Texas Music writer Patrick says that they really shine on their originals. At times they’re a little over the top, he says ” but overall, it’s an entertaining throwback that puts a modern spin on the golden age of AM country radio.”
- Pamela LeBlanc asked several University of Texas athletes what songs they felt made the best motivators. Longhorn quarterback Colt McCoy couldn’t decide between two songs for his number one choice; Kenny Chesney’s “She Thinks My Tractors Sexy” and George Strait’s “I Can Still Make Cheyenne”. No wonder the Horns lost to the Aggies. Props to the captain of the rowing team, Alex Janss, for giving a shout out to Adam Hood for “Million Miles Away”. So the question begging to be asked, what songs are your best motivators?
- Be sure to enter the contest to win your own copy of Hag’s Christmas or Country Christmas from EMI. Just enter your name and email. Winners will be chosen on Friday.
- Kellie Pickler takes a page from the Jessica Simpson playbook on Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?. Is this an act?
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!