UT Acquires Willie Nelson Collection; Nashville Gets Renewed; New Music Videos
- Bigger Picture Group, the current home of Craig Campbell, Chris Janson, Blackjack Billy and more, has ceased operations. According to CEO David Robkin, executives and administrative staff are continuing to work to support the label’s artists and to seek new funding.
- Willie Nelson has donated platinum records, manuscripts, and correspondence to the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin. The university plans to open an exhibit featuring pieces of the Nelson collection.
- Esquire premiered “(All I Can Do Is) Dream You” from the forthcoming 25th anniversary edition of Roy Orbison’s Mystery Girl.
- Led Zeppelin made CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artist’s Choice list, which continues to count down the most influential artists ever according to country stars. I’m looking forward to seeing Metallica make the cut.
- Former Steel Magnolia member Meghan Linsey is recording a new EP and is looking to fans to help fund it.
- Billboard cover girl Miranda Lambert spilled some info on her upcoming album, Platinum.
- Jamie Lynn Spears will release an EP called The Journey on May 27.
- Ronnie Dunn performed “I Wish I Still Smoked Cigarettes” on The Doctors, while Keith Urban performed “Good Thing” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Someone stole Mike & The Moonpies’ van, gear, and trailer in Dallas on May 11. Here’s a list of the stolen gear. The band is also soliciting donations to help replace their lost stuff.
- Reba McEntire has a new song “Pray for Peace.” She’s soliciting fan contributions for the upcoming video.
- Good for Kip Moore stepping up and calling out internet trolls who bully anonymously.
- ABC’s Nashville has been renewed for a third season.
- Hunter Hayes played ten shows in a 24-hour period and set a world record in the process.
- Will Hoge had to cancel more shows due to his pneumonia.
- Dierks Bentley and Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine have formed a multi-year partnership.
- My Kind of Country’s Razor X gives some well-deserved love to new release The Gospel Music of Marty Stuart: “Like all Marty Stuart albums, this collection contains excellent musicianship and fabulous harmonies throughout. It is billed as a live album, but it is not a concert album; rather it is performed live in the studio without an audience. The album appears to have been made on the cheap, but that only adds to its charm, giving it a sitting-around-the-living-room feel.
- Chad Sullins had some heart-related health issues that required hospitalization.
- The Wayne Mills murder case is headed to trial.
- Bear Family Records is releasing a six-disc boxed set of Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton’s duet recordings.
- Shonna Tucker was on Mountain Stage.
- The Tennessean’s Cindy Watts interviewed Brad Paisley about his new album coming out in late August. An excerpt: “The working title is sort of ‘Thoughts From a Bumpkin’…Looking at the world through the eyes of a country singer is an interesting thing. (The album) should be easy to like. Thematically, I feel like I’ve hooked some of the best songs I’ve ever written for this album. I really believe that.”
- Kenny Vaughan (Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives) produced Amy McCarley’s June 10 release called Jet Engines. (via press release)
- New music videos from the past week or two:
Casey Barnes – “Flesh & Bone”
Noah Gundersen – “Cigarettes”
Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray – “Drifter’s Compass”
Hellbound Glory – “Streets of Aberdeen”
Amanda Shires – “Look Like a Bird”
Trent Tomlinson – “Come Back to Bed”
Sturgill Simpson – “Turtles All the Way Down” (on A Prairie Home Companion)
Nickel Creek – “Destination”
Johnny Cash – “Out Among the Stars”
Don Williams – “I’ll Be Here in the Morning”
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!