USA Today Premieres New Slaid Cleaves Song; Faith Hill, Sunday Night Football Split; Album Releases
- Listen to Kathy Mattea’s recent Mountain Stage performance.
- Darden Smith has signed with Compass Records. His next album, Love Calling, will be released August 27.
- Keith Urban, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, and more are performing at the “All for the Hall” benefit concert in Nashville tonight.
- NoiseTrade is offering music from Aoife O’Donovan as well as an ATO Records sampler, which features tracks from Caitlin Rose, Old Crow Medicine Show, Brandi Carlile with Emmylou Harris, and more.
- Toby Keith will embark on another USO Tour later this month.
- CM Wilcox compiled a new edition of Quotable Country.
- USA Today premiered the title track from Slaid Cleaves’ upcoming album, Still Fighting the War (due out in June). All proceeds from the download of the song will go to Operation Homefront, an organization that provides emergency financial relief for service members and their families.
- Check out The Infamous Stringdusters’ new video for “Rockets.”
- Faith Hill will no longer be singing the intro to Sunday Night Football.
- The 2013 Podunk Bluegrass Festival has been canceled. Organizers are now turning their attention towards the 2014 festival.
- Sons of Fathers made a behind-the-scenes video about their new record, Burning Days.
- Chris Henry’s got a new video for “Nothing Left But the Blues” from his Making My Way to You album.
- Here’s Nora Jane Struthers and The Party Line performing “Party Line.”
- A man is in critical condition after being stabbed at the Country Thunder festival. Police have arrested a suspect.
- This is a fine Q&A with Bruce Molsky.
- The Hillbilly Killers (Bill Chambers, Catherine Britt, and Tim Rogers) have made a new album; they’re talking to record labels and “figuring out the nitty gritty” before the project gets released. In this article, Britt describes the sound as “Hank Williams meets Nick Cave.”
- Here’s a Rolling Stone feature on the Levon Helm documentary, Ain’t In It for My Health.
- CMT Edge premiered a video for Sara Watkins’ “You and Me.”
- Chris Parton of CMT reviewed Dwight Yoakam’s Friday night show at the Ryman.
- Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors played “Good Light” at the CMT Studios. Watch here.
- Here’s a Dallas News feature on Jason Boland & The Stragglers.
- This week’s album releases:
Willie Nelson – Let’s Face the Music and Dance
Steve Earle & The Dukes (And Duchesses) – The Low Highway
Kim Richey – Thorn in My Heart
Statesboro Revue – Ramble on Privilege Creek
Granger Smith – Dirt Road Driveway
Steel Wheels – No More Rain
Nora Jane Struthers & The Party Line – Carnival
Casey Donahew Band – Standoff
Adam Klein – Sky Blue DeVille
Jonny Fritz – Dad Country
Iron and Wine – Ghost on Ghost
Amy Speace – How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat
Keith Walker – Miles from You
JJ Grey & Mofro – This River
Various Artists – Way to Blue: The Songs of Nick Drake
- Rick: After watching last night's episode of ABC's Nashville, all I can say to Juliette is Home Wrecker!!!! (lol) That live Sweetback …
- Luckyoldsun: "...liquor stores close at 9:00pm in Texas. " You learn something new every day! And as long as we're at it--How the …
- murtry: I always thought Out Among the Stars was too contrived. "It's midnight at a liquor store in Texas" .. …
- Juli Thanki: Darrell Scott did a solid version of "Out Among the Stars" for his Modern Hymns album a few years back: …
- mrsandydog: "That “Out Among the Stars” is surely the same tune that Waylon and Merle both recorded. I hope there’s better …
- Luckyoldsun: "Out Among the Stars" was a good song. I thought Merle's emotional recording of it was a highlight of his …
- Donald: Am I missing something with the 2-disc, 6 songs per, Rhonda set? Why two discs?
- murtry: That "Out Among the Stars" is surely the same tune that Waylon and Merle both recorded. I hope there's better …
- Six String Richie: On the bright side, by winning 6 ACAs, Florida Georgia Line now owns 6 Telecasters. Maybe that will help them …
- Janice Brooks: Barry a friend and I figured at least 7 HOF songwriters Price recorded before they became big. Roger Miller Bill Anderson Harlen Howard Mel …