Upcoming Music Events Benefit Flood Relief; Gruene Hall Celebrates 35 Years; Ultimate Willie Nelson List
- Tickets for Music City Keep on Playin’ – A Benefit for Flood Relief, the first nationally televised telethon for Nashville flood aid, went on sale today. The event includes Kellie Pickler, Will Hoge, Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Rodney Atkins and more, and will broadcast live on GAC next Sunday.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill organized their own benefit, Nashville Rising: A Benefit Concert For Flood Recovery, for June 22. Along with the hosts, other performers include Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean, Brooks & Dunn, Miranda Lambert, Luke Bryan, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rimes and others.
- Marty Stuart‘s 9th Annual Late Night Jam is scheduled for June 9th at the Ryman Auditorium. The lineup includes Keith Urban, Dallas Frazier, Cowboy Jack Clement, Ronnie Milsap, Ralph Mooney, Connie Smith, and the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, and proceeds will benefit flood relief efforts.
- Austin Music Source’s Patrick Beach on Jerry Lee Lewis:
If the Sex Pistols had ever needed a piano player, Jerry Lee Lewis could have gotten the gig.
Seriously. The guy is in his mid-70s old but there’s something so punk rock about him and he still has the capacity to surprise.
- Steve Terrell created his ultimate Willie Nelson list, which includes categories like: top ten songs written by Willie Nelson, best Willie album, and best Willie duet.
- The six-foot circle of oak in the middle of the Opry stage is still in good condition.
- Merle Haggard scored his highest solo debut on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart in 25 years with I Am What I Am.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 05/09/10 Edition
- Jerry Jeff Walker, George Strait, and Lyle Lovett commented on Gruene Hall, which, along with the surrounding historic district, is celebrating 35 years since it was revitalized.
- Watch the new video for Tim McGraw‘s song “Still.”
- Country Music Pride’s Jim Simpson reviewed the new Jim Lauderdale album Patchwork River.
- In an interview with The Texas Music Chart’s Katie Key, Rita Ballou commented on the impact her blog has had on her life.
- Rather than create another playlist of mom songs for Mother’s Day, C.M. Wilcox had his mom create her own playlist for Country California.
- The Steel Wheels are currently in the middle of a 10-day, 400-mile bicycle tour.
- Rosanne Cash joined NPR last week for a night of conversation and music at Seattle’s Moore Theater. The event, hosted by All Things Considered‘s Michele Norris, “sheds light on Cash’s life, her family and the music that ties it all together.”
- Watch the premiere of Dierks Bentley‘s new video for the song “Up On the Ridge.”
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …