Upcoming Music Events Benefit Flood Relief; Gruene Hall Celebrates 35 Years; Ultimate Willie Nelson List
- Tickets for Music City Keep on Playin’ – A Benefit for Flood Relief, the first nationally televised telethon for Nashville flood aid, went on sale today. The event includes Kellie Pickler, Will Hoge, Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Rodney Atkins and more, and will broadcast live on GAC next Sunday.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill organized their own benefit, Nashville Rising: A Benefit Concert For Flood Recovery, for June 22. Along with the hosts, other performers include Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean, Brooks & Dunn, Miranda Lambert, Luke Bryan, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rimes and others.
- Marty Stuart‘s 9th Annual Late Night Jam is scheduled for June 9th at the Ryman Auditorium. The lineup includes Keith Urban, Dallas Frazier, Cowboy Jack Clement, Ronnie Milsap, Ralph Mooney, Connie Smith, and the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, and proceeds will benefit flood relief efforts.
- Austin Music Source’s Patrick Beach on Jerry Lee Lewis:
If the Sex Pistols had ever needed a piano player, Jerry Lee Lewis could have gotten the gig.
Seriously. The guy is in his mid-70s old but there’s something so punk rock about him and he still has the capacity to surprise.
- Steve Terrell created his ultimate Willie Nelson list, which includes categories like: top ten songs written by Willie Nelson, best Willie album, and best Willie duet.
- The six-foot circle of oak in the middle of the Opry stage is still in good condition.
- Merle Haggard scored his highest solo debut on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart in 25 years with I Am What I Am.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 05/09/10 Edition
- Jerry Jeff Walker, George Strait, and Lyle Lovett commented on Gruene Hall, which, along with the surrounding historic district, is celebrating 35 years since it was revitalized.
- Watch the new video for Tim McGraw‘s song “Still.”
- Country Music Pride’s Jim Simpson reviewed the new Jim Lauderdale album Patchwork River.
- In an interview with The Texas Music Chart’s Katie Key, Rita Ballou commented on the impact her blog has had on her life.
- Rather than create another playlist of mom songs for Mother’s Day, C.M. Wilcox had his mom create her own playlist for Country California.
- The Steel Wheels are currently in the middle of a 10-day, 400-mile bicycle tour.
- Rosanne Cash joined NPR last week for a night of conversation and music at Seattle’s Moore Theater. The event, hosted by All Things Considered‘s Michele Norris, “sheds light on Cash’s life, her family and the music that ties it all together.”
- Watch the premiere of Dierks Bentley‘s new video for the song “Up On the Ridge.”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …