Universal Republic and Big Machine Launch New Label: Republic Nashville
- Universal Republic Records President and CEO Monte Lipman and Big Machine Records President and CEO Scott Borchetta announced the formation of a new label imprint: Republic Nashville.
- Austin Powell wrote an interesting feature piece about Ryan Bingham for The Austin Chronicle. In it, he notes that Bingham will make his acting debut in the Robert Duvall-produced movie Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges stars in the movie as a beat-down country singer — modeled on Kris Kristofferson — attempting to revive the acclaimed outlaw status of his early career.
- The ten finalists for the second season of CMT’s Can You Duet have been announced. Look for the premiere episode on June 20.
- Listen to a 2006 Mountain Stage performance from Jon Randall. Good stuff.
- Watch the video premiere for Kate & Kacey‘s “Dreaming Love.”
- Cindy Watts mentions that Ray Stevens‘ new album, One for the Road, is available exclusively at Pilot gas stations until Labor Day and that David Nail will be married on Saturday.
- Uh, cool pants?
- My Kind of Country: Who would you like to hear a covers album from? And what songs would you like them to include on it?
- The Zac Brown Band has a live chat scheduled later today.
- Amy LaVere and Lucero are a couple of artists featured in a new, Memphis-based MTV musical drama titled $5 Cover. You can watch videos for LaVere’s “Killing Him” and Lucero’s “San Francisco” on the show’s website. (via press release)
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo commented on two separate movements in country music and the artists behind them: Taylor Swift and Jamey Johnson.
Swift and Johnson both have created their own audience, and that’s very much the future of a country audience made up of niche groups of fans. I can’t think of a great deal of audience overlap between Taylor fans and Jamey followers (other than Jamey’s producer and co-writer Buddy Cannon, is a Taylor supporter). …
Taylor Swift has country music’s heart right now, but Jamey Johnson for damn sure has its soul.
- A report to be published in the International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising says that longer, higher quality free music samples engage more listeners and reduce the number of “free riders”.
- That news should bode well for Owen Temple. His new album, Dollars and Dimes, doesn’t come out until next week (June 9), but you can stream the entire thing on his website right now. Click the songs to read his brief description of each.
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.