Universal Republic and Big Machine Launch New Label: Republic Nashville
- Universal Republic Records President and CEO Monte Lipman and Big Machine Records President and CEO Scott Borchetta announced the formation of a new label imprint: Republic Nashville.
- Austin Powell wrote an interesting feature piece about Ryan Bingham for The Austin Chronicle. In it, he notes that Bingham will make his acting debut in the Robert Duvall-produced movie Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges stars in the movie as a beat-down country singer — modeled on Kris Kristofferson — attempting to revive the acclaimed outlaw status of his early career.
- The ten finalists for the second season of CMT’s Can You Duet have been announced. Look for the premiere episode on June 20.
- Listen to a 2006 Mountain Stage performance from Jon Randall. Good stuff.
- Watch the video premiere for Kate & Kacey‘s “Dreaming Love.”
- Cindy Watts mentions that Ray Stevens‘ new album, One for the Road, is available exclusively at Pilot gas stations until Labor Day and that David Nail will be married on Saturday.
- Uh, cool pants?
- My Kind of Country: Who would you like to hear a covers album from? And what songs would you like them to include on it?
- The Zac Brown Band has a live chat scheduled later today.
- Amy LaVere and Lucero are a couple of artists featured in a new, Memphis-based MTV musical drama titled $5 Cover. You can watch videos for LaVere’s “Killing Him” and Lucero’s “San Francisco” on the show’s website. (via press release)
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo commented on two separate movements in country music and the artists behind them: Taylor Swift and Jamey Johnson.
Swift and Johnson both have created their own audience, and that’s very much the future of a country audience made up of niche groups of fans. I can’t think of a great deal of audience overlap between Taylor fans and Jamey followers (other than Jamey’s producer and co-writer Buddy Cannon, is a Taylor supporter). …
Taylor Swift has country music’s heart right now, but Jamey Johnson for damn sure has its soul.
- A report to be published in the International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising says that longer, higher quality free music samples engage more listeners and reduce the number of “free riders”.
- That news should bode well for Owen Temple. His new album, Dollars and Dimes, doesn’t come out until next week (June 9), but you can stream the entire thing on his website right now. Click the songs to read his brief description of each.
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …