Universal Republic and Big Machine Launch New Label: Republic Nashville
- Universal Republic Records President and CEO Monte Lipman and Big Machine Records President and CEO Scott Borchetta announced the formation of a new label imprint: Republic Nashville.
- Austin Powell wrote an interesting feature piece about Ryan Bingham for The Austin Chronicle. In it, he notes that Bingham will make his acting debut in the Robert Duvall-produced movie Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges stars in the movie as a beat-down country singer — modeled on Kris Kristofferson — attempting to revive the acclaimed outlaw status of his early career.
- The ten finalists for the second season of CMT’s Can You Duet have been announced. Look for the premiere episode on June 20.
- Listen to a 2006 Mountain Stage performance from Jon Randall. Good stuff.
- Watch the video premiere for Kate & Kacey‘s “Dreaming Love.”
- Cindy Watts mentions that Ray Stevens‘ new album, One for the Road, is available exclusively at Pilot gas stations until Labor Day and that David Nail will be married on Saturday.
- Uh, cool pants?
- My Kind of Country: Who would you like to hear a covers album from? And what songs would you like them to include on it?
- The Zac Brown Band has a live chat scheduled later today.
- Amy LaVere and Lucero are a couple of artists featured in a new, Memphis-based MTV musical drama titled $5 Cover. You can watch videos for LaVere’s “Killing Him” and Lucero’s “San Francisco” on the show’s website. (via press release)
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo commented on two separate movements in country music and the artists behind them: Taylor Swift and Jamey Johnson.
Swift and Johnson both have created their own audience, and that’s very much the future of a country audience made up of niche groups of fans. I can’t think of a great deal of audience overlap between Taylor fans and Jamey followers (other than Jamey’s producer and co-writer Buddy Cannon, is a Taylor supporter). …
Taylor Swift has country music’s heart right now, but Jamey Johnson for damn sure has its soul.
- A report to be published in the International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising says that longer, higher quality free music samples engage more listeners and reduce the number of “free riders”.
- That news should bode well for Owen Temple. His new album, Dollars and Dimes, doesn’t come out until next week (June 9), but you can stream the entire thing on his website right now. Click the songs to read his brief description of each.
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.