Two Best Cowboy Records; David Allan Coe Marries; Merle Haggard Wants to Regurgitate When He Hears ____
- Tom Russell on Marty Robbins‘ Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs and Tex Ritters‘ Blood on the Saddle: “If God made two better cowboy records (to paraphrase W.S. Burroughs) he kept them to his glorious self.”
- Country California Fake News: Craig Wiseman Turns Shopping List Into Life-Affirming Anthem
- With the ever-increasing sales at outlets like iTunes, Amazon, QVC, and concert halls, Mike Severson asks if they should really be considered non-traditional.
- Bucky Covington is not what you’d call perceptive:
Who’s the coolest person you’ve met?
Billy Bob Thornton. I went to his house and hung out drinking lukewarm Coronas. This guy is the epitome of cool. We were talking movies and music, and he brings up the movie ‘Sling Blade,’ and I said, ‘Were you in ‘Sling Blade’? That was a great movie!’ And he thanked me. I asked who he was in ‘Sling Blade,’ and he said, ‘Carl.’ I said, ‘That’s the main character!’ I didn’t even know he was in it! But actually technically that’s a huge compliment to an actor, that I watched the movie, and I didn’t know it was [him]! And he wrote the dang movie as well!
Music Fog: Chatham County Line – “Crop Comes In”
- Outlaw David Allan Coe married his longtime girlfriend Kimberley Hastings on Saturday, making this his sixth marriage.
- Great American Taxi is offering a free download of “Appalachian Soul” from their debut album to raise awareness for a coal miners relief fund. Check out their website for the download and more details.
- Even Merle Haggard has songs he regrets, like “If We’re Not Back In Love by Monday:”
“I absolutely hate that song. I can’t stand to hear it,” Haggard says. “It makes me want to regurgitate.”
- In an interview with Peep’s Joe Guerra, Miranda Lambert declares “Dead Flowers” her favorite song that she’s ever written and says she was upset it never gained momentum at radio.
- Streaming concerts from NPR: Ray Wylie Hubbard on Mountain Stage and John Hiatt and Robert Earl Keen on World Cafe.
- The album recommendation of the month from Alt-512 Music Musings is James Keyes‘ Ruminations.
The first thing that strikes us is Keyes’ voice which immediately conjurs recollections of the rasp inherent to the likes of Otis Gibbs and Ryan Bingham coupled with the low wash of fellow New Englanders Slaid Cleaves and/or Rod Picott. The songs themselves fall somewhere in the Ray Wylie Hubbard and Gurf Morlix realm in terms of the sense of spiritualism and stripped down honesty. Sometimes, less is more. And that is definitely the case with Keyes’ Ruminations.
- The only currently scheduled Texas show on Dierks Bentley‘s “Up On the Ridge” bluegrass tour will take place at The Parish in Austin this Saturday. The Travelin McCourys and Hayes Carll are set to perform as well.
- CMT’s Chris Parton has good things to say about the film Provinces of Night, which stars Kris Kristofferson and Dwight Yoakam.
- Farce the Music thinks country radio needs more songs like Dierks Bentley‘s “Up On the Ridge.”
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …