Tracy Lawrence Made History At CMA Awards With Win
- Trisha Yearwood hates the fact that ticket scalpers are getting a hold of some of the $31 tickets to Garth Brooks’ shows and selling them for astronomical prices. Witness the prices on eBay.
- Country music is keeping Jessica Simpson busy these days. She attended the BMI Awards to see her buddy Willie Nelson canonized, made sure she was seen at the CMAs (almost directly behind King George), and was on hand for the taping of Hank Williams Jr’s tribute show. Simpson aside, Buddy Guy, Gretchen Wilson, Brad Paisley, and Alan Jackson shower Williams with kudos–not the granola bar, either. Jackson says:
“Everybody thinks Hank’s just a big party man who writes all the drinking songs,” he said. “But tunes like ‘Old Habits,’ things he wrote about his life — if you’re in some of the harder times, those are really great, meaty songs.”
- The Nashville Songwriters Association International promised not to change a thing about The Bluebird Cafe, they do however, hope to use their “marketing department to expand the profit-making abilities.”
- The Eagles new album, Long Road Out Of Eden, which is supposed to be available exclusively at Wal-Mart and through the band’s website, is turning up at retailers from Mom & Pops to Virgin, reports Rolling Stone. Apparently, demand for the album has been so high that retailers are physically importing it from Wal-Mart and raising the price.
- Try your hand at the Funny Country Song Titles Quiz. The Joe Nichols one almost threw me off since one of the words in the title is wrong. I ended up with a mere 17/20. (via City Girl, Country Girl)
- Take Country Back republished their 12 step program for… taking country back. Many of the listed steps are reasons I like writing here, although I don’t follow them all religiously. The trap that usually snares me is “instead of talking about what’s wrong with country music — share with others what’s right about it…”
- Lyle Lovett vs. Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and Carrie Underwood in the battle of music and broadcast industries.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain salutes Hank Thompson, one member of the Holy Trinity of Hanks.
- The Stagecoach Music Festival doesn’t sound too shabby. They’ve managed to combine contemporary country music mega-superstars with torchbearers of traditional music, like: Ralph Stanley, Riders In the Sky, and Wylie & The Wild West, and will feature The Judds in their first show since 2000. Good stuff.
- Tracy Lawrence’s win at the CMAs for “Find Out Who Your Friends Are” marked the first time a country artist with his own record label has taken home a CMA award for a song from the label’s debut release.
- That Kris Kristofferson guy sure knows how to write a speech.
Comparing Willie to Stephen Foster, Kristofferson went on to say “His voice and his guitar are a part of his body and soul. … Like Muhammad Ali and Johnny Cash, he’s become more than the art form that made him famous. … I’m still in awe of his artistry. … I love you, Willie. I always have, I always will.”
- Tom Roland revealed the story behind the classic guitar solo on “Pancho & Lefty”.
- Twang Nation posted videos of two fantastic performances from the AMA conference. The first is Mike Farris’ nod to the late Porter Wagoner on an acoustical rendition of “Green, Green Grass of Home”. Lyle Lovett keeps the magic alive with “If I Had A Boat”. Thanks, Baron.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …