Tracklisting Finalized for New George Strait Album; Free Compilation Record to Support Public Radio; Jean Shepard on a Boat
- Rolling Stone announces that an album of Hank Williams’ lyrics and unfinished songs (which were found in a briefcase after Williams’ death) will be released on October 4. Bob Dylan, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, and Norah Jones are just a few of the artists tasked with recording those songs.
- Taylor Swift hit up the Lincoln Memorial after one of her DC shows.
- Check out the track list for George Strait’s 39th album Here for a Good Time (due out September 6). Songwriters include Strait, son Bubba, Dean Dillon, Chris Stapleton, and more.
Love’s Gonna Make it Alright
Shame on Me
Here for a Good Time
House Across the Bay
Lone Star Blues
A Showman’s Life
Three Nails and a Cross
Blue Marlin Blues
I’ll Always Remember You
- A week later, on September 13, Steve Holy will be releasing his third album, Love Don’t Run, on Curb Records.
- William Elliott Whitmore, Mavis Staples, Tom Waits, and more are on the free Raise Your Voice! compilation in support of public radio.
- Peter Cooper on co-writing, “the single biggest change in the past half-century of commercial music in Nashville:” Somewhere in Nashville today, someone is sitting by herself in a sad mood, pouring her emotions into something that rhymes, crafting a melody that is as revealing as the words she writes, hoping that her personal experiences will become universal. She is hoping her own pain will be assuaged when her song is on the lips of the masses and at the top of the radio countdowns, like Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You,” Kris Kristofferson’s “Sunday Morning Coming Down” or Hank Williams’ “Cold, Cold Heart.” That person is either Taylor Swift or a fool.
- Chris Klimek of the Washington Post reviewed Gillian Welch and David Rawlings’ recent Bethesda show (it was a doozy).
- Miranda Lambert added some new tour dates.
- The Bluegrass Blog salutes bluegrass heroes and workhorses like Norman Wright.
- Jamey Johnson supports family farms.
- A fantastic interview with Ashton Shepherd for American Songwriter. An excerpt: “I’ve never sat down like intentionally thinking ‘I’m gonna write a song for the women.’ I’m writing a song about myself, and then I play it back or hear it and it sort of turns into everybody’s song. I’m writing it for myself not realizing that I’m not the only one that feels like this. And that sounds really weird, because it’s probably the exact reverse of when they hear it; they’re probably thinking ‘Wow, Ashton Shepherd feels like this. I’m not the only one that feels like this.’”
- The Carolina Chocolate Drops are auctioning off an autographed banjo. Proceeds go to The Center for the Study of the American South, a research center of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Brit chanteuse Adele going grassy?
- Jean Shepard, Jan Howard, Mandy Barnett, and more will take to the high seas on the Opry Country Classics Cruise in late January 2012. Arrrr!
- Actress (and former Opryland performer) Kristin Chenoweth talks with The Boot about her upcoming country album.
- Keith Urban on his US tour and Elmo’s godlike status in the Urban-Kidman household.
- Louis Armstrong was born on this day in 1901. Here’s an appearance on The Johnny Cash Show.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.