Trace Adkins Wins Over Colleagues, But Loses Celebrity Apprentice
- Despite what the title of The Tennessean’s article about Celebrity Apprentice might lead you to believe, I don’t think Trump directly told Trace Adkins he was fired, but he wasn’t named the celebrity apprentice, either.
- Former NBA power forward Wayman Tisdale has an album set for release on June 3rd, but the interesting part is he’ll be teaming up with Toby Keith for a duet on a cover of Barry White’s “Never Gonna Give You Up.”
- In her MySpace blog Mindy McCready says she’s working on a reality show called Mending Mindy.
- The Gobblers Knob and The Fine Line will be at the Granada Theater in Dallas tonight to bring you a live video webcast of Bleu Edmondson and Rodney Parker & 50 Peso Reward. Festivities are set to kick off at 7pm. Pretty cool deal.
- Miranda Lambert landed at number 90 on Country Universe’s list of 100 Greatest Women of Country Music.
- Chet Flippo raises questions that are worth exploring about talent shows and whether they can truly produce the next generation of country artists.
Talent shows, contests and competitions are re-emerging as the primary path of advancement for fledgling country singers. Talent shows flourished in the early years of popular music, and fiddle contests, especially, have long been a staple of country music. State and county fairs have held country music competitions for years. Patsy Cline rose to national stardom on the early television show, Talent Scouts. The Original Amateur Hour began on radio in 1934 and moved to TV in 1948. Star Search gave a start to such country artists as Sawyer Brown.
- After 35 years of publication, Dutch country and bluegrass periodical Country Gazette has announced that next month’s issue will be their last. The publishers are retiring and have not found anybody to take over.
- And the 25 year-old Music Row magazine was acquired by SouthComm Communications, Inc., who also owns Nashville Post.
- Kenny Chesney’s private 40th birthday bash proved to be a star-studded affair.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain dubs Dick Curless as one of the “Grand Dukes of The Truck Driving Song,” and even provides some mp3s.
- The Old Settler’s Music Festival has a killer lineup that includes Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives, Delbert McClinton, Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys, and JD Crowe and The New South. The festival takes place right outside of Austin from April 17-20.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.