Trace Adkins – “Just Fishin’”
Songwriters: Casey Beathard, Monty Criswell and Ed Hill
After the disastrous chart performance of his suggestive “Brown Chicken, Brown Cow,” Trace Adkins makes a quick turnaround with a more family-friendly track, the first single from his upcoming studio album. “Just Fishin’” follows in the same form as previous hits “Then They Do” and “You’re Gonna Miss This,” little snapshots of domestic bliss with an underlying sense of melancholy.
The lyric of “Fishin’” focuses on a daddy and daughter enjoying a few bonding moments by the riverbank. Their warm weather afternoon isn’t so much about catching the night’s dinner—“Fishin’ on the riverside/Throwing back what we could fry/Drowning worms and killing time/Nothing too ambitious”—as it is about making some lifetime memories. While the daughter rambles on about her ballet shoes and kittens, her father understands these conversations seem small but will someday carry a big weight in his mind. In the second verse, Adkins begins to dread the thought of his little girl growing up: “I’d better do this every chance I get, ’cause time’s a-tickin’.”
As usual, Adkins inserts himself into the conversation of the best male vocalists in country music. “Fishin’” is further proof that his deep baritone can match well with sentimental songs like these.
The pleasant arrangement gives him room to showcase his voice; “Fishin’” is a pretty standard modern country production that features a few clever touches. Right from the start, the guitars signal a sense of foreboding even as they settle in for a day of fun. With a few steel flourishes and piano accents within the chorus, you can feel him being yanked away from time with his daughter to a world of his own memories.
“Fishin’,” filled with sharp details that describe a family man’s joys and sorrows, is a solid step back onto country radio for Adkins.
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY