Top 10 Bluegrass Albums of 2010
2010 has been an excellent year for bluegrass music. Whether your taste in bluegrass is traditional, progressive, or somewhere in between, you probably ended the year with an extensive playlist of new favorites. Here are our favorite bluegrass albums of the past year. Stylistically, these records are all over the spectrum. There are the usual suspects—The Grascals, Dailey & Vincent, the other Vincent—and a couple newcomers on the countdown, too.
With albums from the Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull & Highway 111, Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers, and Sarah Jarosz slated for release, the first half of 2011 is looking good for bluegrass fans. But until then, give the following albums another spin or two.
10. Quicksand, Randy Kohrs
9. Things That Fly , The Infamous Stringdusters
8. Sing the Statler Brothers, Dailey & Vincent
7. Antifogmatic, Punch Brothers
6. Cherryholmes IV: Common Threads, Cherryholmes
5. The Famous Lefty Flynn’s, The Grascals
4. Taken, Rhonda Vincent
3. Homecoming, Joe Diffie
2. Reckless, The SteelDrivers
1. Up on the Ridge, Dierks Bentley
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …