Tommy Scott, Robert Earl Reed Pass Away; Keith Urban to Sell Guitars on Home Shopping Network; New Music Videos
- On this week’s MediaBase country charts, Jason Aldean takes over the top spot with “Night Train” while Sara Evans and Randy Houser both enter the Top 50 with new singles.
- Luke Bryan forgot to put his pickup in park and it rolled into a lake.
- Western film star and former Grand Ole Opry star Ramblin’ “Doc” Tommy Scott passed away at the age of 96.
- Steve Azar raised $170,000 for his nonprofit organization with his 2nd Annual Delta Soul Celebrity Golf & Charity Event.
- “How to convince your hipster friends to listen to country music.”
- Adam Brand, one of Australia’s brightest country music stars, will release My Acoustic Diary on November 8. Stream the first single, “Freedom Rebels.”
- Grand Ole Opry VP/GM Pete Fisher will be honored with the Inspiration Award at the Inspire Nashville Awards on October 22.
- Is Justin Moore too country for television?
- Self-described Alt Country/XXX musician Robert Earl Reed passed away this weekend at the age of 47.
- Keith Urban will soon be hawking a line of signature guitars on the Home Shopping Network.
- ’90s country artist Tommy Roe has new music out.
- Rural Rhythm Records will release two more albums on October 22 as part of their Heritage Collection Series: Hylo Brown’s Hylo Brown & the Timberliners (1967) and Lee Moore’s Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music, (1966). Rural Rhythm also recently announced that it has signed a long-term deal with Steve Gulley. Gulley’s next project, a gospel album, will be released in early 2014. (via press release)
- Disney is prepping Disney Music Group Nashville for a 2014 launch. Actor Lucy Hale is one of DMG Nashville’s first artists; she’ll be releasing an album next year.
- Neil Ferguson of The Horn interviewed Mike Devol from Greensky Bluegrass.
- Junior Sisk decided to remove “Old Bicycle Chain” from his set list after some bluegrass fans felt that it advocated violence against women.
- The first episode of Cassadee Pope’s new CMT series, Frame by Frame, is available for streaming.
- Charlie Daniels & Friends’ annual Christmas 4 Kids Benefit Concert will be held on November 25 at the Ryman Auditorium.
- Gary Allan’s bus was involved in a minor traffic accident last Wednesday.
- Sheryl Crow: “Art has gone the way of commerce.”
- Julie Andrews approves of Carrie Underwood taking on the role of Maria in The Sound of Music.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new Quotable Country post.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Jennifer Nettles – “That Girl”
The Civil Wars – “Dust to Dust”
Randy Travis – “Tonight, I’m Playin’ Possum”
Tony Joe White – “9 Foot Sack”
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.