Tommy Scott, Robert Earl Reed Pass Away; Keith Urban to Sell Guitars on Home Shopping Network; New Music Videos
- On this week’s MediaBase country charts, Jason Aldean takes over the top spot with “Night Train” while Sara Evans and Randy Houser both enter the Top 50 with new singles.
- Luke Bryan forgot to put his pickup in park and it rolled into a lake.
- Western film star and former Grand Ole Opry star Ramblin’ “Doc” Tommy Scott passed away at the age of 96.
- Steve Azar raised $170,000 for his nonprofit organization with his 2nd Annual Delta Soul Celebrity Golf & Charity Event.
- “How to convince your hipster friends to listen to country music.”
- Adam Brand, one of Australia’s brightest country music stars, will release My Acoustic Diary on November 8. Stream the first single, “Freedom Rebels.”
- Grand Ole Opry VP/GM Pete Fisher will be honored with the Inspiration Award at the Inspire Nashville Awards on October 22.
- Is Justin Moore too country for television?
- Self-described Alt Country/XXX musician Robert Earl Reed passed away this weekend at the age of 47.
- Keith Urban will soon be hawking a line of signature guitars on the Home Shopping Network.
- ’90s country artist Tommy Roe has new music out.
- Rural Rhythm Records will release two more albums on October 22 as part of their Heritage Collection Series: Hylo Brown’s Hylo Brown & the Timberliners (1967) and Lee Moore’s Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music, (1966). Rural Rhythm also recently announced that it has signed a long-term deal with Steve Gulley. Gulley’s next project, a gospel album, will be released in early 2014. (via press release)
- Disney is prepping Disney Music Group Nashville for a 2014 launch. Actor Lucy Hale is one of DMG Nashville’s first artists; she’ll be releasing an album next year.
- Neil Ferguson of The Horn interviewed Mike Devol from Greensky Bluegrass.
- Junior Sisk decided to remove “Old Bicycle Chain” from his set list after some bluegrass fans felt that it advocated violence against women.
- The first episode of Cassadee Pope’s new CMT series, Frame by Frame, is available for streaming.
- Charlie Daniels & Friends’ annual Christmas 4 Kids Benefit Concert will be held on November 25 at the Ryman Auditorium.
- Gary Allan’s bus was involved in a minor traffic accident last Wednesday.
- Sheryl Crow: “Art has gone the way of commerce.”
- Julie Andrews approves of Carrie Underwood taking on the role of Maria in The Sound of Music.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new Quotable Country post.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Jennifer Nettles – “That Girl”
The Civil Wars – “Dust to Dust”
Randy Travis – “Tonight, I’m Playin’ Possum”
Tony Joe White – “9 Foot Sack”
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …
- Barry Mazor: Why exactly would it be "weird" to induct an earlier deserving veteran before a later one? (Some people are …
- sheldon: You beat me to the punch, mrsandydog. No Dottie for another year. Dolly is a national treasure, btw.
- nm: I live in hope that next year will be Tanya Tucker's year. But the way the HoF voters snub feisty …
- Mark Pope: I am surprised that Mac Wiseman would have beaten out Ralph Stanley as a bluegrass representative. I recognize that …
- luckyoldsun: I swung and missed on Skaggs for this year! Milsap is definitely deserving--and has been waiting longer than Skaggs. Well, …
- Barry Mazor: Mac was also heavily involved in mainstream country music, had hits on the charts, and was Nashville A&R head …