Tommy Scott, Robert Earl Reed Pass Away; Keith Urban to Sell Guitars on Home Shopping Network; New Music Videos
- On this week’s MediaBase country charts, Jason Aldean takes over the top spot with “Night Train” while Sara Evans and Randy Houser both enter the Top 50 with new singles.
- Luke Bryan forgot to put his pickup in park and it rolled into a lake.
- Western film star and former Grand Ole Opry star Ramblin’ “Doc” Tommy Scott passed away at the age of 96.
- Steve Azar raised $170,000 for his nonprofit organization with his 2nd Annual Delta Soul Celebrity Golf & Charity Event.
- “How to convince your hipster friends to listen to country music.”
- Adam Brand, one of Australia’s brightest country music stars, will release My Acoustic Diary on November 8. Stream the first single, “Freedom Rebels.”
- Grand Ole Opry VP/GM Pete Fisher will be honored with the Inspiration Award at the Inspire Nashville Awards on October 22.
- Is Justin Moore too country for television?
- Self-described Alt Country/XXX musician Robert Earl Reed passed away this weekend at the age of 47.
- Keith Urban will soon be hawking a line of signature guitars on the Home Shopping Network.
- ’90s country artist Tommy Roe has new music out.
- Rural Rhythm Records will release two more albums on October 22 as part of their Heritage Collection Series: Hylo Brown’s Hylo Brown & the Timberliners (1967) and Lee Moore’s Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music, (1966). Rural Rhythm also recently announced that it has signed a long-term deal with Steve Gulley. Gulley’s next project, a gospel album, will be released in early 2014. (via press release)
- Disney is prepping Disney Music Group Nashville for a 2014 launch. Actor Lucy Hale is one of DMG Nashville’s first artists; she’ll be releasing an album next year.
- Neil Ferguson of The Horn interviewed Mike Devol from Greensky Bluegrass.
- Junior Sisk decided to remove “Old Bicycle Chain” from his set list after some bluegrass fans felt that it advocated violence against women.
- The first episode of Cassadee Pope’s new CMT series, Frame by Frame, is available for streaming.
- Charlie Daniels & Friends’ annual Christmas 4 Kids Benefit Concert will be held on November 25 at the Ryman Auditorium.
- Gary Allan’s bus was involved in a minor traffic accident last Wednesday.
- Sheryl Crow: “Art has gone the way of commerce.”
- Julie Andrews approves of Carrie Underwood taking on the role of Maria in The Sound of Music.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new Quotable Country post.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Jennifer Nettles – “That Girl”
The Civil Wars – “Dust to Dust”
Randy Travis – “Tonight, I’m Playin’ Possum”
Tony Joe White – “9 Foot Sack”
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!