Todd Snider Scheduled To Chat with ESPN About His New Album
- Todd Snider will join ESPN tomorrow to chat and answer questions about his new album and his song “America’s Favorite Pastime” which is featured on The Homerun EP, a collection of baseball songs by Yep Roc Records artists. (via Twang Nation)
- Reba McEntire scored the highest solo chart debut of her career with her new single “Strange.” It’ll debut at #39 on the Billboard Top Country Songs chart this week. (via press release)
- Watch new videos for Raul Malo‘s “Hello Again” and Holly Williams‘ “Keep the Change” at the CMT Blog.
- In an interview with The Washington Post‘s J. Freedom du Lac, Raul Malo compares singing to Olympic high-diving, ponders the possibility of a Mavericks reunion (not going to happen), and says that his band now is more of a band than the Mavericks ever were.
Where and when did you learn that there’s something to restraint?
[Laughs.] I think I learned that from just watching everybody else. I kind of equate singing to Olympic high-diving. The less splash the better in that competition. But the way most people sing, certainly on “American Idol,” is everybody’s doing cannonballs into the pool. We’re not really supposed to be doing cannonballs all the time.
- New releases for the week of April 14, 2009 include:
- Performers for the 2009 CMA Music Festival, which will be held June 11-14 in Nashville, have been announced. They include: Dierks Bentley, Brooks & Dunn, Julianne Hough, Reba McEntire, Brad Paisley, Jason Aldean, Rodney Atkins, Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Jake Owen, Zac Brown Band, Trace Adkins, Jack Ingram, Jamey Johnson, Martina McBride, Lee Ann Womack, Miranda Lambert, Montgomery Gentry, John Rich and Taylor Swift.
- This Saturday (Apr. 18) marks the second annual Record Store Day in which various independent records stores and artists hook up for special vinyl and CD releases along with special appearances and performances. Check the website to see if a record store near you is participating.
- Congrats to Country Universe’s Dan Milliken. He’s one of the finalists in the Belmont Unplugged Song Challenge for his song “Goin’ Green,” which could end up as the University’s official “green” song. Very cool.
- Dolly Parton‘s Backwoods Barbie – The Collector’s Edition, available exclusively at Cracker Barrel, debuted at #9 on Billboard’s Top Country Album chart.
“This achievement clearly demonstrates Cracker Barrel’s ability to reach a large audience of music buyers,” said Peter Keiser, Vice President of Marketing. “It shows the strength of the brand. With 588 retail outlets for our exclusive CDs, Cracker Barrel has a unique opportunity to sell quality music in great quantity.” he added. Cracker Barrel’s exclusive music program has grown to the point that participating in Nielson SoundScan, the system which gathers the data for the Billboard charts, makes good business sense. Keiser said, “Participating in SoundScan shows that we are serious about being in the music business and focused in the choices we make regarding artists and the labels that we work with.”
(via press release)
- Ninebullets.net declares the new Justin Townes Earle album, Midnight at the Movies, essential listening.
- In late March, Alison Bonaguro attended the taping of The Oprah Winfrey Show featuring country stars Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker and Sugarland. The actual show airs today, but you can read about it on CMT now.
- Country Radio Broadcasters and Edison Research posted a slideshow of the results from their study on trends in country music.
- Jessica Harp‘s video for her song “Boy Like Me” is the free iTunes Music Video of the Week. (iTunes)
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.