Todd Snider and John Carter Cash Play Part In New Loretta Album
- Singer-songwriter Larry Joe Taylor–who doesn’t listen to mainstream music–participated in Galleywinter’s 20 Questions feature.
Your music and festivals really promote songwriting above show. What made you want to really focus on the songwriting aspect? And, who are some of your favorite songwriters?
Songwriting is a craft. I’ve spent all of my musical life trying to hone my craft. It’s what moves me, it’s what I like to talk about and songwriters are who I like to be around. The more I know about songwriting the harder it is to write one. I need to be around good songwriters to write good songs. I’m a big fan of a well written song. Favorite Songwriters? Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Kris Kristofferson, John Prine, Richard Leigh, Joe Ely, Keith Sykes, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen.
Plus he mentions a campfire jam from one his festivals that’d make any Texas music fan salivate.
- Kenny Chesney’s show at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. next summer sold out fifteen minutes after tickets went on sale. Joining Chesney at the show will be: Keith Urban, Sammy Hagar, LeAnn Rimes and Gary Allan. Garth Brooks didn’t do too shabby either, selling out five concerts in less than an hour.
- Dolly Parton is the cause of controversy in Rotherham–a town in South Yorkshire, England. The city council leader setup a lunch and postponed a meeting to accommodate Parton as she introduces her children’s literacy scheme. The delayed meeting has caused uproar among a couple of council members from minority parties. Independent councillor Tony Mannion says:
“I’ve spoken to the Labour leader. Apparently, he’s a Dolly Parton fan. I suppose my complaints will fall on deaf ears and that some might say it’s a storm in a D-cup, or double D-cup. But it’s the principle.
And Conservative councillor Brian Cutts says:
“What’s she called. Dolly Parkin? I know that she’s American and that she’s a thirsty-looking blonde — by that I mean attractive. And that she’s got a couple of wonderful attributes,” he said. “I wouldn’t claim to be an expert on her. I’m 75 and too old and out of date. I hear Councillor Stone is a fan and he likes to mix with celebrities.”
- Hickory Wind posted a long list of CDs on sale for $5 from Yep Rock Records. I’ve heard of exactly three artists on the list, but skimming over the albums might be a good way to pick up some new music.
- Jamie Foxx made an unexpected appearance with Rascal Flatts on Oprah last Friday, stunning the famous host. And apparently the connection between Rascal Flatts and Jamie Foxx is that Foxx once shared a house with Gary LeVox.
- Gary Allan calls Keith Urban’s tour the best one he’s ever been on.
It’s the best tour I’ve been on, just as far as how I’ve been treated. There are no insecurities — ‘Hey, don’t use this stuff of mine.’ He is letting us do whatever we want.”
I wonder if he was indirectly dissing a past act he’s been on tour with.
- Kellie Pickler is headed for the Persian Gulf to perform for the troops.
- Rumor has it that Loretta Lynn has been writing songs with Elvis Costello and Todd Snider and has been in the studio recording a new album produced by John Carter Cash.
- Teddy Thompson – “Change of Heart” (via Take Country Back)
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …