Toby Keith – “She’s A Hottie”
Songwriters: Bobby Pinson, Toby Keith
If the title of the song doesn’t clue you in, let me fill in the blank: “She’s A Hottie” is dreadful! It’s the only new song on Toby Keith’s yet to be released greatest hits album that will fullfill his contract obligation to Universal Music Group. While it would be mildly funny, if not a bit childish, to pass this awful dreck off as a parting shot, Keith’s label, Show Dog Records, is handling the promotion of the single.
Toby Keith is a top notch artist and can record ballads with the best of them and he has the ability to record the uptempo numbers, but too often, they rely too heavily on infectious novelties and completely forgo any semblance of substance. Take the hook of this song for example, “She’s a hottie, she’s a hottie, she’s got a smokin’ little body.” The rest of the song doesn’t fare much better. “Hey Mister! Ya, I kissed her! Son! You ought to see her sister!!!”
If the lyric weren’t bad enough, the production sounds like a kid who got a new toy and spent a couple of hours putting something together that he thought sounded cool. “I gotta have a few diggy diggys in there, some naughty hotties would be sweet, and make him talk in a low voice right there and I’ll distort it to make it sound cooler. Perfect!”
Fortunately, we can–hopefully–look forward to the new material he’s putting out later this year, including a new studio album and a soundtrack for the movie he’s filming with Willie Nelson based on their song, “Beer For My Horses.”
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.