Time Life Plans to Release Previously- Unreleased Hank Williams’ Recordings
- Time Life plans to periodically release 143 previously-unreleased Hank Williams‘ recordings over a three year period. The recordings were made in 1951 for Williams’ show on radio station WSM-AM in Nashville and were sponsored by Mother’s Best flour.
- Watch Jason Isbell perform “Dress Blues” live at Stubb’s in Austin, TX, then go read the story of Matthew Conley, the Marine the song was written about. (thanks for the link, Jarheaddad)
- The George W. Carver Food Park unveiled a new rose over the weekend named the DeFord Bailey Rose in honor of the Opry legend and one of the first African-American country stars. The flower joins other roses named for country stars from Pam Tillis to Dolly Parton and will become of the centerpiece for each of the beds in the park’s rose garden.
- Country Universe’s list of 100 Greatest Women is down to No. 41 with Lucinda Williams.
She became known as a songwriter first, despite a stunning recorded catalog of her self-written work. But the fledgling Americana format soon became her home, and she returned the favor by becoming its first big star.
- Grant Garland at ggcolumn has a recap of the inaugural Delfest. He says Del McCoury graciously signed autographs, shook hands and took pictures with an endless line of people and the festival featured Dierks Bentley playing some of his hits before performing with several McCoury sons/band members.
- Emily West posted a new song to MySpace with Jeremy Lister titled “Used to This,” and Danielle Peck added “Take It From Me.”
- When rain closed an outdoor venue in Virgina where Gary Allan was scheduled to play a few weeks ago he and his band took their unexpected night off to a local karaoke bar where he says, “we just ended up taking over that bar.” The theme was 80′s night and he admits that his contribution was the Rick Springfield classic, “Jessie’s Girl.” (via GAC)
- After returning from vacation Jessica Simpson hit the recording studio to presumably work on her country album. If rumors of her split from Tony Romo are true, maybe she was channeling some of that heartbreak into her music…
- Ryan Bingham is planing to release the follow-up to Mescalito early next year and is sticking with Marc Ford as producer.
- Naomi Koppel has a piece on Sam Baker that talks about a train he was on in Peru in 1986 and the bomb that exploded in the luggage rack above his head, killing his parents and causing permanent damage to himself. For him, he says creating music was not a choice.
- Poor ticket sales led to the cancellation of next week’s Country Thunder USA festival in Waxahachie, TX.
- If you know how to read dance instructions then check out Alan Jackson‘s MySpace blog for Jenny Cain’s choreographed dance to “Good Time.”
- June 3rd marks the first Porter Wagoner Memorial Artists & Anglers Fishing Tournament where “the world’s greatest male and female Bass fishing anglers will be paired up with some of the biggest and brightest stars in country music for a day of fishing, fun and music.” There’s a long list of artists participating, from Vince Gill and Bobby Bare to newcomer Luke Bryan and Texas artists Roger Creager and Trent Willmon.
Few things were more important to Country Music Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner than spending time on the water. An avid bass angler and Grand Ole Opry legend, a photo of Porter holding the largest bass he ever caught still hangs in his Opry dressing room.
- Rosanne Cash wrote a brilliant article for the New York Times blog in which she claims that “truth” and “honesty” in songwriting aren’t necessarily the same thing as “facts.” She also discusses a collaboration between Elvis Costello, Kris Kristofferson and herself. (via CMT Blog)
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY