Time Life Plans to Release Previously- Unreleased Hank Williams’ Recordings
- Time Life plans to periodically release 143 previously-unreleased Hank Williams‘ recordings over a three year period. The recordings were made in 1951 for Williams’ show on radio station WSM-AM in Nashville and were sponsored by Mother’s Best flour.
- Watch Jason Isbell perform “Dress Blues” live at Stubb’s in Austin, TX, then go read the story of Matthew Conley, the Marine the song was written about. (thanks for the link, Jarheaddad)
- The George W. Carver Food Park unveiled a new rose over the weekend named the DeFord Bailey Rose in honor of the Opry legend and one of the first African-American country stars. The flower joins other roses named for country stars from Pam Tillis to Dolly Parton and will become of the centerpiece for each of the beds in the park’s rose garden.
- Country Universe’s list of 100 Greatest Women is down to No. 41 with Lucinda Williams.
She became known as a songwriter first, despite a stunning recorded catalog of her self-written work. But the fledgling Americana format soon became her home, and she returned the favor by becoming its first big star.
- Grant Garland at ggcolumn has a recap of the inaugural Delfest. He says Del McCoury graciously signed autographs, shook hands and took pictures with an endless line of people and the festival featured Dierks Bentley playing some of his hits before performing with several McCoury sons/band members.
- Emily West posted a new song to MySpace with Jeremy Lister titled “Used to This,” and Danielle Peck added “Take It From Me.”
- When rain closed an outdoor venue in Virgina where Gary Allan was scheduled to play a few weeks ago he and his band took their unexpected night off to a local karaoke bar where he says, “we just ended up taking over that bar.” The theme was 80′s night and he admits that his contribution was the Rick Springfield classic, “Jessie’s Girl.” (via GAC)
- After returning from vacation Jessica Simpson hit the recording studio to presumably work on her country album. If rumors of her split from Tony Romo are true, maybe she was channeling some of that heartbreak into her music…
- Ryan Bingham is planing to release the follow-up to Mescalito early next year and is sticking with Marc Ford as producer.
- Naomi Koppel has a piece on Sam Baker that talks about a train he was on in Peru in 1986 and the bomb that exploded in the luggage rack above his head, killing his parents and causing permanent damage to himself. For him, he says creating music was not a choice.
- Poor ticket sales led to the cancellation of next week’s Country Thunder USA festival in Waxahachie, TX.
- If you know how to read dance instructions then check out Alan Jackson‘s MySpace blog for Jenny Cain’s choreographed dance to “Good Time.”
- June 3rd marks the first Porter Wagoner Memorial Artists & Anglers Fishing Tournament where “the world’s greatest male and female Bass fishing anglers will be paired up with some of the biggest and brightest stars in country music for a day of fishing, fun and music.” There’s a long list of artists participating, from Vince Gill and Bobby Bare to newcomer Luke Bryan and Texas artists Roger Creager and Trent Willmon.
Few things were more important to Country Music Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner than spending time on the water. An avid bass angler and Grand Ole Opry legend, a photo of Porter holding the largest bass he ever caught still hangs in his Opry dressing room.
- Rosanne Cash wrote a brilliant article for the New York Times blog in which she claims that “truth” and “honesty” in songwriting aren’t necessarily the same thing as “facts.” She also discusses a collaboration between Elvis Costello, Kris Kristofferson and herself. (via CMT Blog)
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …