Tim McGraw To Tape Austin City Limits Episode; Canadian Country Music HoF Announces 2012 Inductees; New Music Videos
- Richard Thompson, Bonnie Raitt and Booker T. Jones will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Americana Music Association Awards in Nashville this September.
- The Huffington Post has strong praise for Chely Wright’s new documentary: “Wish Me Away is a powerful, important film of heartbreak and triumph that I honestly believe will save lives, providing gay kids in the heartland with a role model, a lesson that being gay doesn’t mean being a bad person, and a way to start a much-needed conversation with family and friends. It’s also a film that can help straight people of all ages realize the pain homophobia and a life in the closet can cause, which nearly drove Wright to suicide. Chely Wright is a pioneer, and I don’t take this term lightly. She’s a real hero for what she’s done, and I sincerely hope that she and Wish Me Away get all the attention and accolades they deserve.”
- The Village Voice interviewed Eric Church. Among the highlights are the influence of Metallica in his career and how Church feels his “Homeboy” song was misinterpreted.
- There is a new book out called Unconquered: The Saga of Cousins Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley. From the press release: Library Journal says, “This is a good read, and not just for the hard-core fan. It will appeal to anyone interested in the dynamics of rock ‘n’ roll, country music, and evangelical Christianity and what happens when the aesthetics and lifestyle of those three worlds collide.”
- An explosion at the Opryland Hotel didn’t affect any Grand Ole Opry shows last week, but it did require the evacuation of 5,000 guests.
- Johnny Burke and Ralph Murphy are both going to be inducted into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame this year. Burke has worked with Loretta Lynn forever and a day.
- Thompson Square has teamed up with Purina Dog Chow.
- Shooter Jennings cut two albums’ worth of material when he recorded Family Man. He is finishing another album right now.
- New music videos and a couple of live performances from the past week or so:
Jake Owen – “The One That Got Away”
Montgomery Gentry – “So Called Life”
Scotty McCreery – “Water Tower Town”
Joe Walsh & Friends – “Rocky Mountain Way” (from CMT Crossroads)
Joey+Rory – “When I’m Gone”
Gretchen Peters – “Idlewild”
Earl Dibbles, Jr. (Granger Smith)– “The Country Boy Song”
Jimmy Copens – “I Want My Country Back”
Jess Moskaluke – “Catch Me If You Can”
Charlene Marie – “Cinnamon Whiskey”
Claudia Lee (actress from Hart of Dixie) – “3 Leaf Clover”
Jamie Lynn Spears – “I Look Up to You”
Denae Gardner – “Welcome to America”
Hank Williams, Jr. – “That Ain’t Good”
- For those that didn’t have the opportunity to attend the Engine 145-sponsored Golf & Guitars Children’s Charity Concert in Sacramento last month, here are some video clips, fan shots, and interviews from the event that you might enjoy. We were able to raise just a tad shy of $100,000 for kids here in Northern California.
Love & Theft
Johnny Bulford of Summerlin Road
Jason Michael Carroll
Jason Michael Carroll II