Tim McGraw Nears the End of His Record Contract; Joe Nichols Readies Hits; Taylor Swift at Ed Sullivan Theater
- Tim McGraw on his relationship with his label, Curb Records:
Pressed on why 20 years was too long, Tim caught himself and pulled a few of his punches while answering. “Look, I think there comes a time when you’ve gotten everything out of each other that you can … When a relationship doesn’t work mutually then I think you really have to evaluate it on both sides. I could turn into Prince really quickly if I go down that road.” (As you may recall, in the mid-’90s, Prince felt so entrapped by his contract with Warner Bros. Records — also his home for 20 years — that he took to writing the word “slave” on his cheek.)
- He also scored a new movie role alongside Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington.
- NPR profiled George Jones in a feature titled “George Jones: The Voice of Heartbreak.”
- Daytrotter posted three acoustic performances from its session with Ryan Bingham.
- My Kind of Country: Occasional Hope’s Top 10 Singles of 2010
- John Rich hosted a Christmas party at his home on Saturday for patients at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt and their families.
- Dan Milliken compiled a list of the year’s greatest hits releases for CMT.
- And speaking of hits releases, Joe Nichols will have his own come Jan. 25.
- Farce the Music parodied albums covers from Randy Houser, Keith Urban, Vince Gill and more.
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day is Jimmie Dale Gilmore‘s cover of the John Lennon song “Imagine.”
- For this week’s Acoustic Motel, Jack Ingram performed “Make A Wish,” one of two songs he’s written about/for his kids, even though he has three.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 12/12/10 Edition
- Here’s a new live video from Sons of Bill for the song “Santa Ana Winds.”
- Music Fog: Bob Livingston – “Android’s Lament”
- That Nashville Sound highlighted “Ghost of Johnny Cash,” a song from Shawn Mullins‘ latest record , Light You Up. If you dig the song, check out the record, which is going for $5 on Amazon for the month of December.
- Eric Gibson of The Gibson Brothers on branching out from bluegrass-style songwriting in the early 2000s:
We had come off the road for a few years. After we won the Emerging Artist award from IBMA [International Bluegrass Music Association] we made a stab at country music. We were naïve enough to think maybe we could help spur another new traditional movement. We liked what Ricky Skaggs had done in the early ‘80s, and he’s a hero of ours. He produced a country record of ours. It’s never come out. That just opened up our minds to trying to write different things. We started playing with a drummer here and there and we just started writing songs with different feels to them than we had in the past. It was more wide open. And then when we decided, ‘Well we’re not going to be country singers. Bluegrass is where we’re home.’ We brought some of those songs with us and we tried to play them on bluegrass instruments.
- The Boot has the premiere of The Grascals‘ new song with Dolly Parton, “I Am Strong.”
- Hot Rize on Mountain Stage.
- Taylor Swift recently performed an exclusive concert at the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York. Here’s video of the whole performance. (via email)
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."