Tim McGraw Helps Detain Unruly Fan
- Tim McGraw helped detain a rowdy fan during his recent concert in Auburn, Washington. He called for security to take the man away when he witnessed him rush forward and allegedly attack a female fan. After security was unable to get to the man fast enough McGraw helped drag him on stage. The band continued to play on, and when the man was taken away McGraw jumped right back into the song. (here’s a YouTube video)
- In a Q&A with Mike Kieran, Todd Snider mentions that he might write a book, names his musical influences and personal heroes and relays the story of the time he had a gun pulled on him:
I was with Billy Joe Shaver. He seems to always be around guns and alcohol. I was waiting for a phone call and I think I interrupted a drug deal. It was kind of a tough old bar. This guy put a gun in my face, a sawed-off shotgun. I thought, “What a dick, that’s rude!” Billy Joe talked me out of it somehow. As soon as the gun got in my face he said, “Todd, be quiet.” and I said, “OK.” And he started talking. I don’t remember everything he said, but we left. They told me to never come back to that bar but I did.
- Download “Hi-Fi Love”–Texas Music Matters’ song of the day from Adam Carroll. The singer-songwriter dropped by KUT’s studios last week with his pedal steel player to record the song.
- Littlefield, TX–the birthplace of Waylon Jennings–is holding a birthday bash to honor the outlaw singer this Saturday.
- Reba McEntire, Patsy Cline and Trisha Yearwood all scored spots within the top ten of Country Universe’s 100 Greatest Women. There’s only five spots left to go.
- Emily West, a self-professed klutz, had a few minor hiccups during her CMA Festival performance:
The zipper on her vintage dress exploded on stage, leaving her in a slip. She had planned to perform barefoot, but the stage was so hot that she couldn’t stand still.
“Everyone probably thought I was a really bad dancer,” West said. “Thank God I wore the slip. Then I almost tripped and fell going off stage.”
- If you’re around Irving, TX this weekend, head out to the Country For a Cure concert featuring Lost Immigrants, Mo Robson and Jay Johnson. All the proceeds benefit Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so you’re helping out a good cause and catching some good tunes at the same time.
- Jackass’s Johnny Knoxville posted a hilarious three part video interview with Dale Watson. The majority of the interview is dedicated to Watson recalling the time he pulled a knife on an Ohio piano player in Sweden. (via the always delectable Twang Nation)
- A WB press release says Blake Shelton will be next week’s Nashville Star musical guest. The theme is “family week” and he’ll be performing his latest single, “Home.”
- Jamey Johnson on writing and performing: “Writing is not enough for me. I did not come [to Nashville] to just be a writer. I live to play. I’m not here to take a stab at it, I am going to do it.”
- Check out “12 Ounce World” and “Pour Me a Drink” from Rodney Hayden‘s forthcoming album.
- Jim Caligiuri published a lovely article on The Austin Chronicle‘s Earache music blog. Here’s an excerpt:
“…it’s a country music site that doesn’t take sides in the battle between mainstream and Americana. It takes the current crop of Nashville poseurs to task when needed, but doesn’t praise all things alt or Texas either, pointing the way to what’s good on either side of the fence.”
- UPDATE: Mindy McCready was arrested, again.
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …