Tim McGraw featuring Gwyneth Paltrow – “Me and Tennessee”
Songwriter: Chris Martin
The motion picture Country Strong bombed at the box office upon release, but its companion soundtrack produced impressive tracks from Faith Hill, Lee Ann Womack and Chris Young (with Patty Loveless). Two Top 30 country hits are also featured on the project: Sara Evans’ “A Little Bit Stronger” and the debut country single for Gwyneth Paltrow, “Country Strong.”
In fact, it’s Paltrow’s entries–she’s featured on four of the 13 songs—that have made the soundtrack a frequent target of media attention. You can expect her to remain Music Row fodder for the foreseeable future: the Academy Award-winning actress this week signed a recording contract with Atlantic Records. If she plays her hand right with top-notch material, she’s proven to be a capable vocalist who, though no Reba or Carrie, can stand her ground with the format’s current crop of female talent.
But with “Me and Tennessee,” a duet with co-star Tim McGraw, Paltrow is unable to lift a lifeless song to greatness. The storyline, racked with hackneyed lyrics of love gone wrong, moves along without pause or purpose. This separated pair reminisces about time spent “talking ’til the night was gone/In the back of (the) truck with the radio on.” These moments are just memories after the husband commits some unforgivable and unexplained sin. It’s never clear just how he’s hurt his wife, but whatever transgression occurred was no minor matter: “But now you’ve done a few things that I can’t forgive,” Paltrow sings. That concept deserves further exploration, but the song just sputters to a confusing end.
The song is colored with steel guitar flashes, but they serve as an unnecessary accent to the moody melody. And neither singer musters up the chemistry that might have shot a spark through this dull acoustic arrangement. The vocal performances by McGraw and Paltrow are pleasant and satisfying, but the strong bond between these two star-crossed lovers never quite materializes on record. Considering the three big talents involved (Chris Martin, Coldplay singer and Paltrow’s husband, is sole writer of the song), “Me and Tennessee” is surprisingly uninteresting.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.