Third Time’s A Charm: Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood to Host CMA Awards; ICM Awards Nominees
- Ford the third year in a row Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will host the CMA Awards. The ceremony is set to take place in Nashville on Nov. 10.
- Taylor Swift is scheduled to premiere the music video for her current single, “Mine,” tonight at 8 PM ET.
- Dale Watson may not have a million fans, but in an interview with The Boot’s Vernell Hackett he guesses there’s an easy quarter million people who like his music, and with his new record, Carryin’ On, he hopes that number grows and makes people aware there’s other options for country music besides what’s heard on the radio.
- Take note, American Songwriter‘s Evan Schlansky gave Marty Stuart the perfect opportunity to lambaste modern country music — and he didn’t do it.
What are your feelings on modern country music? Are you a fan?
Of certain people and certain songs, and I absolutely encourage modern country music, trust me. I totally know that there aren’t a lot of people out there that think the way I do about some things, but we need modern country music as much as we need traditional country music. It’s a balance, and we need bluegrass, and folk music. We need all those divisions of country music, firing on all cylinders. That’s what makes country music so cool to me, but traditional country music kind of got out of balance and it’s starting to fade so it can be disregarded, and that felt wrong to me. So that’s why I followed my heart and did what I did, but absolutely we need young people performing, singing, playing their version. That’s what always made it great.
- Zac Brown and his wife are expecting the arrival of their fourth daughter early next year.
- My Kind of Country: Who are some of the artists whose catalogs you feel you need to examine more closely?
- Tim Stafford, who recently released a new album with Steve Gulley (Amazon), announced his engagement to Alecia Nugent.
- Speaking of Tim Stafford and Steve Gulley, The Bluegrass Blog’s John Lawless reviewed and provided song samples from their new album, Dogwood Winter, which he calls “one of the most compelling records in bluegrass/acoustic music this past few years.”
- Saving Country Music reviewed Willis Alan Ramsey‘s recent concert in Dallas where he played for nearly three hours despite having only one album to his name, and that was released almost 40 years ago.
- The Inspirational Country Music Awards announced it’s 2010 nominees.
- Jeff Daniels on being an actor who plays music:
Daniels jokes that as an actor with a guitar, “the expectations are so low, I have nowhere to go but up,” [...].
“I’ll never be a guitar-slinger like Nashville’s loaded with, but I can get around, and it’s not just three chords,” he says. “I’ve worked real hard at the fingerpicking and being able to play up and down the neck, as well as tell stories, and write songs that can stand up.”
- Farce the Music: Top 10 Songs That Didn’t Quite Make the Cut for John Rich‘s Next Album
- The Randy Rogers Band is offering a download of “Interstate” in exchange for your email address.
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …